I need your advice...lapband revision to bypass?????

Peppermint-Pattie2
on 10/10/11 8:07 am - San Marcos, CA
Hi All,

I just got back from the docs and I have another hiatal hernia for the 3rd time.  I have had a band for about 3 yrs.  It has been a struggle with hernias and revision. Numerous fills and unfills.  My doc now wants to repair the hernia and revise to bypass.  What do I do.  I lost about 70 lbs with the band struggles but have gained back 20.

Hislady
on 10/10/11 9:16 am - Vancouver, WA
If the band isn't working and that is pretty common then it's time to consider a different surgery. Myself I would look into the sleeve because it isn't malabsorptive like the bypass. That's just me as I don't want my insides rerouted. So looks like it's time for you to study the other available surgeries and see what looks good to you.
Caryn W.
on 10/10/11 11:58 am - Las Vegas, NV
I had a revision from the Band...which had had since 2004 to the bypass in Sept. I also had a Hiatal hernia and it was repair during my revision.  Make sure you do your research on the gastric bypass, and other procedures. After 3 hiatal hernias...i would be looking into something else also...your doctor knows your background he can help with the decision on what procedure is best for you. Good Luck!
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/10/11 12:19 pm - Tuvalu

So what's your BMI now, more or less?

pandavenise
on 10/10/11 1:37 pm
 I fought the band for two years and lost a total of 30 pounds only to regain 20 back. I just had a revison to RNY Oct 3rd and feel great wish I had done this first. Good luck and keep us informed.
Sexyvt123
on 10/10/11 10:56 pm
I had the band back in 2008 and only lost 30pds which I gained all back.  A revision sounds like the only option you have but I would research ALL of the surgery options before picking RNY.  Right now you have RNY, Sleeve and DS.  I was revised 3wks ago from band to DS and so far im down 35pds.  You have to factor in how high your BMI is and how much you need to loose to be at normal range.  Good luck.

pandavenise
on 10/11/11 2:29 am
 I agree with sexy. What is right for you. My BMI was 37 and I need to lose about 80 pounds so that is why I chose rny. 
Crystal_Altus
on 10/11/11 6:46 pm
my doctor was straight up with me and said that if i had gotten band it wouldn't have done much, i went with rny and i lost 160lbs, and have only gained about 30 back and workin on losing that- that's been over the course of about 4 years...sooo good luck!
Holly O.
on 10/12/11 8:17 am - FL
I had the lapband for 5 years and lost 30 lbs. and gained 50!!  I had theRNY done 4 months ago and am down almost 60 lbs. and I have had zero problems!!  It is heaven.........I struggled with the band.......it simply wasn't right for me!!  Listen to your dr. and do your homework!!  My one regret.........I wish I would of had the RNY done in the first place!!  Live and learn, huh??  LOL
   Holly                                      
Most Active