Small Rant

alaja957
on 10/16/11 9:17 am, edited 10/16/11 9:19 am
I have been doing my research and was headed towards a BOB because it was less scary and I could get it done near my home. Well I let my supervisor know what was going on because I had a lot of associated medical appointments and I made it very clear that I was mostly at the mercy of my doctors/insurance time lines.  I was almost all the way through the BOB process when I decided the DS would be better for me.   So...now I do not know what my time line is because I have to save up some money for travel and put more FSA away for next year. 

So this is what rubbed me the wrong way.  One of my coworkers just told us she was pregnant so my supervisor said to me "since your procedure is elective it would be good if you would take into account coworkersname 's maternity leave."  I was all with her until the "elective" part.  I am now up to 315 pounds as of this morning.  I was running 2.5 miles at a time in January but my joints hurt so much now I can only fast walk on the treadmill.  Most of my clothes don't fit.  I get indigestion and reactive hypoglycemia.  I sit in my own lap again.  I am hungry all the time.  I don't think I should have to tell her all this.  I wish she didn't think of my surgery as "elective"   

6/12/12 RNY to DS revision with Dr.Roslin

Toy T.
on 10/16/11 10:29 am
DS on 02/22/12
 First off you were very kind in letting your supervisor know bc by law they don't so SHE needs to take that into consideration. Second off, your surgery is not elective. It is a medical neccesity and if she doesn't believe you tell her to look it up in your insurance's adminsitrative/clinical policies. Third off, you seem to be suffering physically so I am sorry but your health comes first. Fourth off, for some people pregnancy is "elective" so how about she take that into consideration. 

Ok now my little rant is over. I say go ahead with planning what you were before and if your supervisor has any problems, take it to HR. 
MsBatt
on 10/16/11 11:21 am
Technically, your WLS revision IS elective. There are only two kinds of surgery---elective and emergency. Emergency surgery is surgery that's done immediately because you're going to die if they don't do it RIGHT NOW.

I can understand your being peeved---but since you've already decided that you NEED more time in order to get the best surgery for you, but it sounds to me like your co-worker's pregnancy leave shouldn't greatly interfere with YOUR timeline. When is she due, and how long will she be on leave?
Sexyvt123
on 10/18/11 12:04 am
Congrats on deciding on the DS instead of the BOB.  I think you have made a GREAT choice.  I wish you luck on your journey and you never know things might move alot faster then you think.  Maybe you can have that suregery before your coworker have the baby.  Wishful thinking

Most Active
Recent Topics