Crushed in St Louis

hopey333
on 10/25/11 5:32 am - Fenton, Mo
RNY on 12/10/12
I had a VBG back in 2000. I weighed 460 the day of surgery and I am now back up to 390 lbs. I am trying to get a revision. I went to Dr. Minkin at Des Peres Hospital. He did an endoscopy and based on what he saw he thinks I need to be revised to an RNY which he does not perform for revision, but referred me to Dr Scott with DePaul Health Center. I had my results sent to them and sent in my packet only to have them call and tell me they will no longer take any patient who did not originally have their surgery with them. My surgeon long since retired and I don't even know his name any longer. I don't know where to turn now. She told me to try a hospital in Columbia, MO, but that is too far away and we only have one car and my husband is out of work right now. Anyone have any suggestions? I am miserable and tired of the GERD and vomiting everynight.
MsBatt
on 10/25/11 8:36 am
At 390, having once been 460, you do not need an RNY---you need a DS. Simply put, the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight loss for patients of ANY size, but especially so for those with a BMI greater than 50.

BUT---there are not a lot of surgeons competent to do this sort of revision. I suggest you seek out a vetted DS surgeon, and one who is experienced in doing RNY-to-DS revisions. I realize your previous surgery was a VBG, which *may* be less complicated than an RNY-to-DS revision---or it might be MORE complicated. (I'm not a surgeon. *grin*)

You can find a list of vetted DS surgeons here:www.dsfacts.com You can also find a lot of good info about the DS there as well.

I also suggest you check out the DS board here, and ask questions about revision surgeons:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/

edeldog13
on 10/25/11 12:07 pm - MO
Just so you know, Dr. Eagon will not do a DS. You will not find anyone in the St. Louis area. That said, please look into the DS. You can research it on the DS forum. ASK questions over there. Also, ask on the revision forum what they would recommend.

You won't be sorry if you get a DS! You also won't need to revise again like now.
Paula R.
on 10/25/11 2:29 pm - Portland, OR
I had an RNY back in 2000 and find myself on the path to having my RNY revised to a DS in the early part of next year.  Im sorry to hear about your health problems you are having and your husband being out of work...by the way.  Its got to be a really tough time for you.

I cant tell you what the right surgery option is for you, but if I was asked what I would do if I was faced with the same dilemma you face right now...Id honestly opt to go see a surgeon skilled in revision to DS surgery and at least see what my options were based on the test results I had.  
My signature is in the witness protection program

Amy 2bhealthy
on 11/8/11 4:59 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Just wanted to tell you that I am in the EXACT same situation. I have a band with slippage complications, transfer from my original surgeon and was working with Dr. Morales at SSM Depaul, while currently jumping through insurance hoops, and received a call yesterday that they can no longer keep me as a patient b/c of their new policy of no transfers.

Crushed is a great word for how I am feeling too. Have you found any more information? I have no idea what I am going to do. My band surgeon is still around, but will only work around my band scenario, will not revise to another surgery.

Good luck...and please let me know what you find out along your way and I will do the same! 

Amy

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

hopey333
on 11/8/11 5:05 am - Fenton, Mo
RNY on 12/10/12
Is really sucks doesn't it...I am actually looking into Dr K out in California. With as much weight as I need to lose,I am best to go with the DS. I will let you know how it goes. My insurance will likely cover it, but he has a $4000 program fee I am trying to find a way to finance.

Hugs to you!
Hope
Amy 2bhealthy
on 11/8/11 8:08 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I agree. Good luck with pursuing the DS. I may end up going that route also, will just have to see how things go.

I am sure everything will work out with time for both of us, but difficult to not be frustrated during this. Take care!

Amy

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

Katester
on 11/14/11 2:16 am

Nobody in St. Louis (or even close) does this DS. I looked for one high and low...I *think* there is a reputable one in chicago but did not take my insurance. I ended up going to Dr. Wagner for the sleeve...and I know for sure that he does not, nor plan to learn the DS in the near future. He is a huge RNY fan...Please listen to MsBatt and find a very qualified surgeon who can revise to the DS.

Most Active
Recent Topics