Lap Band 8 years convert to RNY

Funmomof 4
on 11/13/11 9:02 am - Mechanicsburg, PA
Has anyone converted from a Lap band to RNY after having the band for years.  I had mine placed in 2003 and it slipped 1 year later. So I had it replaced again in 2004.  I have not been successful. My BMI has always been high and I probably should have had the RNY first but I was too chicken.  Now I am reading about people who have had complications and have not been able to convert to RNY due to scarring.  Anyone out there going through this??

Thanks
SharByTheSea
on 11/21/11 6:59 am
Hi Tammi...I had the LapBand surgery back in 2004, had problems with reflux and fills, replaced Inamed Band to Realize Band in 2009, still had problems, so my Dr. suggested a revision to RNY which I did last April.  The procedure comes with risk as with any surgery.  I had a lot of scar tissue that had to be removed, along with the Band, so the surgery took a little longer.  The first 3 months were very rough for me as I experienced a lot of nasuea and extreme loss of energy....but doing great now....the weight loss has slowed down, but I have read that is to be expected and I didn't have a lot to loose.  I had complete confidence in my Dr and his ability to do the revision....as he has done many, so that helped with the anxiety issues.  If you would like to talk to  me personally, just PM me and I will give you my cell# .  That is exactly what my Dr suggested before I finally made the decision to go forwrd....it really helped to talk to someone who had gone thru the same surgery....

LapBand: 10/2004
RealizeBand: 02/2009
Revision: LapBand/RNY 04/26/2011
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 8:39 pm
Annette O.
on 11/23/11 9:31 pm - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
I had a revision to RNY from lapband this past Sept. I had my lapband in Sept,
of 2006. I had scarring and my surgery was 3.5 hours, but I'm otherwise fine.
I've lost 35 lbs since which is more than I lost in the first year of lapband. My first
week was rough pain wise, but since then everything has been fine. I'm tolerating
most foods, have no consitpation or diarhea and most of all I'm not throwing up
which I was doing daily with the lapband.
  I'm able to swallow pills, like tylenol caplets without any problem. Again with lapband I
couldn't swallow caplets or capsules. At this point I'm grateful for this surgery and
wonder why I didn't do this the first time.
Good luck to you
Annette O
Most Active