Surgery in Mexico, Help!

MsMook1979
on 12/8/11 2:28 am - Philadelphia, PA
Revision on 01/11/12
I am considering having surgery in Mexico. If anyone has any experience or info would be greatly appreciated.
I have been doing research on a few sites and now looking for info on this site as well. Thx

MsMook1979
http://www.youtube.com/msmook1979        Facebook: Charise MsMook BandtoVsg

HW:344   SW:284.6   CW:209.6   GW:185

smileyjamie72
on 12/8/11 6:32 am - Palmer, AK

Ungson is the ONLY surgeon I would reccomend.  There are some REAL butchers in Mexico, please be aware!!!!
What do you want to revise your lapband to?  DS?  RNY?

Good Luck!!!!
-Jamie

RNY to DS~~Hoping for approval (FINALLY) next week after nearly 3 years

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

larra
on 12/8/11 6:45 am - bay area, CA
Hi!
     Before you get anything done, explore ALL your revision options, including revision to the duodenal switch (DS). Given your bmi and struggles with a purely restriction operation, you will probably need the combination of moderate restriction and malabsorption that the DS would give you. The sleeve alone would certainly be better than what you have now, but is much less likely to get you to where you want to be, and longterm results for maintainence are unknown.
     Dr. Ungson in Mexico does revisions of lap band to DS and is a highly regarded surgeon. From what I understand, his rates are very reasonable. There is no other surgeon in Mexico that I would recommend for the DS at present.
     Come on over to the DS forum and learn more about it. Do a shoutout for lap band to DS revisions, there are lots of them. I think you'll like what you learn.

Larra
beemerbeeper
on 12/8/11 7:26 am - AL
There is only ONE surgeon I would trust in Mexico and I would trust him completely.  Ungson.  I've read of complete horror stories with other surgeons and they scare me to death.

Please continue to do your research.  And best wishes.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/11 9:52 pm - Lancaster, OH
Hi, there!
Before you make your final decision, please take a look at the DS.  The malabsorption along with the restriction was a wonderful, wonderful thing for me. 
Actually, it's STILL a wonderful thing.  I'm in my 4th year, and, for the first time in my life am maintaining the same weight without being an absolute slave to some kind of diet.  Seriously, for more than a year, my weight has stayed between 180 and 188. (My surgery weight was 310, and I'm 5'10", so 180 is a great weight for me).  I eat when I'm hungry, eat protein first, and enjoy a treat now and then.  I should exercise, but I don't.
The thing that a (healthy) DSer HAS to be committed to is being vigilant about lab work, and supplementing as needed.  If you're willing to do that, again, I encourage you to come over to the DS board and play.
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/11 9:56 pm - Lancaster, OH
Oops, almost forgot:
I had my surgery in Mexico, with Dr. Ungson.  He and his staff really were wonderful.  The hospital was clean and bright, and every staff member I came in contact with was a pleasure to be around.  My DS was my first WLS, but, unless you've got significant problems with scar tissue, I would imagine a revision to be pretty straightforward.  Of course, you and Dr. Ungson would make that decision, but it would be worth looking in to.
MsMook1979
on 12/9/11 1:17 am - Philadelphia, PA
Revision on 01/11/12
Thank you everyone for your information.

MsMook1979
http://www.youtube.com/msmook1979        Facebook: Charise MsMook BandtoVsg

HW:344   SW:284.6   CW:209.6   GW:185

Dudette
on 12/9/11 4:19 am - Edina, MN
I'll ditto what everyone said about Dr. Ungson. If you are looking for options in Mexico there is only one other guy you might consider talking to and that is Dr. Aceves.

When I got my DS done back in Sept. (first surgery, not a revision) I contracted the surgery through Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. He's an excellent VSG surgeon and works as a team with Dr. Ungson for DS procedures (at least he did for mine). He flew Dr. Ungson up from Hermosillo, BC, MX for the day just for me. As a result I got two expert surgeons in the OR for the price of one.

My reasons for not going directly to Ungson were primarily logistical... scheduling and travel plans that made Aceves' Hospital Almater location a much better choice for me personally. However you might not have those same requirements or concerns. Also, it did not cost more to go through Dr. Aceves and get both him AND Dr. Ungson. The cost was actually slightly less (probably due to the border location).

Anyway, I only mention Dr. Aceves name because of my recent positive personal experience with him, his medical team and support staff at Hospital Almater. Not to mention that I got Dr. Ungson in the OR as part of the deal. Bonus!

Hope this info helps.

Most Active