band v's sleeve? which is better

Shayne P.
on 12/15/11 2:04 pm - sachse, TX
VSG on 03/28/13
I recenetly got my band out from 7 yrs ago. Debating on talking the dr into the sleeve. My question for those that moved from band to sleeve, what are the advantages. I know for me I got sick daily, could never know what would go down with the band and when. My port was in a horrible place and caused me to sit weird. The band wouldnt let me eat most meats....soft, non-fatty ect....no chicken...alot of fruits or veggies....so I learned to eat what I could, when I could. Very unpredictible. With the sleeve, essentially its a restrictive surgery...what issues comes with that?
CorpusMutatis
on 12/16/11 6:39 am
For me the sleeve is what I always thought having the band was supposed to be like. I had the band for 3 years and towards the end it was a nightmare.  Getting rid of my band and getting the VSG was the absolute BEST choice I have ever made.
Hislady
on 12/16/11 9:17 am - Vancouver, WA
I'm definately antiband and if I could get mine revised to the sleeve I'd do it in a heartbeat! From what I've read and I spend alot of time on the sleeve forum, every person who has revised from band to sleeve has been thrilled with how much nicer it is to be able to eat normal just not as much. It seems to work the way the band should but doesn't. I've not seen one person wish they didn't have the sleeve but I see daily people that are suffering with their bands. For what it's worth I say go for the sleeve and don't look back! Make sure you get a surgeon who has experience with revisions!
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 9:47 pm
With the sleeve, essentially its a restrictive surgery...what issues comes with that?

i'm just shy of 2 months from revising - the only issue that came with surgery is fatigue.  my energy is just now returning, but that's about it.

amazed how easy this restriction is, as compared to the band.

mmplumme
on 1/2/12 9:46 am - TX
VSG on 06/11/12
Thanks so much for asking this question. I had my band placed in December of 2006 and am doing my 6 month nutrition program now. I am hoping that insurance will approve me and planning sleeve surgery in late February or early March. I still wonder if I am making the right decision and reading other peoples posts really helps.
USAF Wife
on 1/3/12 10:13 pm
I revised from the band 2.5 years ago, and honestly, it was the damn decision I ever made.

For me, I have zero food intolerances, foods never get stuck, I never puke, my restriciton is consistent and constant. I eat dense proteins all the time, salads work great, and while I am not a fruit eater by choice, when I do want to eat it, I have zero issues.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics