Revision from Lap Band to VSG or RNY??

wendy78
on 3/4/12 4:04 am - PA

Hi all. I have the band put in October 2009. I lost a total of about 60 lbs as of December 2011. Not the results I was hoping for but was working with the band. Summer of 2001 I started experiencing the stuck feeling everytime I ate. I finally went to my surgeon and we did an unfill and I had a total unfill and an Upper GI. The GI showed all was ok with the band but when he went to fill me the port had flipped over. This was January. I went back this past Friday and still had not turned itself around. He offered a few options, the 2 main ones besides living with it like this which is not an option since i have put weight back on, 1 - having surgery to fix th port and 2 -having a revision. I am opting for the revision with his assistance. My patirnt advocate will write up a letter along with him to semd to my insurance to hopefully have it approved. Anyway my dilemma is do I go for the VSG or RNY? I have been looking at both all weekend and am stuck in the middle. Any Advice

riverrita1234
on 3/4/12 6:18 am
I don't much about the VSG, but had the revision surgery to RNY. I ended up with complications. Just make sure you really research the pros and cons of each surgery. And remember that revision patients seem to have a higher rate of complications.

I have lost weight about 20lbs in the first month. I've been out about 6 weeks. I also had a bowel obstruction and was sent back to the hospital for 5 more days.

I'm still in a lot of pain. I have to make another appt with my doc to see if there is anything more seriously wrong.

I hope in the end this will all be worth it.
Hislady
on 3/4/12 9:02 am - Vancouver, WA
My personal choice would be the VSG because you don't need all the extra vitamins like the RNY folks do. The RNY is a more extensive surgery and re routes your insides where the VSG merely removes part of the stomach. Both are effective surgery and I know people who have had both surgeries. I suggest you spend some time on both forums and just read what they are talking about, that alone will give you an idea of what life is like with either of the surgeries. Good luck to you!
amyc
on 3/6/12 10:20 pm - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
Its sounds like when the band was working that you were able to loose.    The VSG may be a good choice for you.  

I was banded for 6.5 years and revised to the sleeve 1 week ago.

I'm very early out, but I've not felt a single hunger pain since surgery.   During the liquid diet with the band I thought I would starve to death before I got to move to the pureed stage lol.

Good luck in whatever decision you make!

Amy

USAF Wife
on 3/7/12 6:43 pm
I revised from the band to VSG over 2.5 years ago. No one could pay me to get RNY. I have a long laundry list of reasons why I refused RNY, and every day I'm grateful that I was able to get sleeved. If I would have needed malabsorption, the DS would have been my only choice. If you read back several pages, you'll see the high incidence of RNY'ers seeking revision for various reasons be it regain or complications. Personally, I wasn't willing to live with any malabsorption, the vitamin regimen alone is not something I was willing to deal with, and with RNY the medication restrictions steered me clear of that surgery all together.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to shoot me a message. I'm an open book and more than happy to share with you all the details.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

meemee1966
on 3/15/12 2:17 am - Canada
hi my name is mary just wondering if weight loss is any diffrent from lapband to sleeve do you have to follow strict diet and exercise im getting revision to sleeve would love some advice to succeed scared im making wrong choice again you can add me as a friend and message me if you want thanks again
USAF Wife
on 3/15/12 2:29 am
On March 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM Pacific Time, meemee1966 wrote:
hi my name is mary just wondering if weight loss is any diffrent from lapband to sleeve do you have to follow strict diet and exercise im getting revision to sleeve would love some advice to succeed scared im making wrong choice again you can add me as a friend and message me if you want thanks again
I lost more weight, and faster with the sleeve. During my losing stage, I ate low carb/high protein. Didn't exercise for the first 4 months. I would recommend going to the VSG forum and asking for everyone's revision experience.

I do not diet in maintenance, and while I do not eat hoards of junk, there is no food that I do not eat because it's a "no no" food. I do not have a "cheating or bad food" mentality so I do eat what I want, when I want with protein the primary focus.

All of the surgeries require some dietary changes, but more so, they ALL require making better choices on what goes in our mouths. I can still suck down a milkshake or eat donuts all the day and the other real consequence is that I would gain all my weight back. So, I choose to eat the best foods for my body, and indugle in moderation.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

MARIA F.
on 3/9/12 2:28 am - Athens, GA

Don't waste your money on a port repair. Get the CRAP-BAND out! Most bandsters revise to VSG. I am hoping to do the same.

There is a FB failed band group. The link is below. Please join!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active
Recent Topics