Newbie Here! RNY to Apollo Revision

Created2bGreat
on 5/4/12 3:10 pm - NY
Hi Everyone,

I had an open RNY back in 2003. My highest weight was 513. I got down to 330 within the first year of my WLS. My weight loss was short lived though. I wasn't able to lose anymore weight after that and by 2006 I was up to 360. By 2008 I was weighting in at 400. January 2011 my weight was 420 and I decided I had to do something about my weight, so I started a healthy eating plan and as of today I weigh 312.

I came here looking for Plastic Surgeons and started snooping around and came across the section on revisions. I saw that there is now a incisionless procedure, so that sparked my interest. This week I decided to contact my Gastric Bypass Surgeon.
( I haven't spoken to since 3 month after WLS;long story).  I saw him Weds. and told me about a new procedure they do, which they are calling the Apollo because its done with a fairly new instrument called the Apollo Overstitch. He explained that it follows the same principles of the StomaphyX and ROSE procedures, but he believes it to an improved version. Today, I went and had an upper GI series and the next step is to meet with the surgeon who performs the endosopy on the 22nd.

Things are moving very quickly. I am feeling hopeful, even though this revision seems to get bad reviews around here. Anyone have sucess with this procedure or with the
StomaphyX or ROSE?

LISA V.
on 5/4/12 3:46 pm - Malden, MA
Revision on 02/25/13
Hi,
I was just trying to find someone who has had the ROSE procedure because I am in need of a revision. I just read your post and I am very curious to hear more about the Apollo. I wish you good luck with your upcoming appointment and hope to hear all about it.
Created2bGreat
on 5/4/12 10:31 pm - NY
Hi,

Well, I am from NY and they do it here. Have you ever considered traveling to get it done? In most cases you don't even have to stay overnight it the hospital. My dr told me I would go home the same day and that it will take about a 1/2 hour to do it.
Hislady
on 5/5/12 11:53 am - Vancouver, WA
Well I read alot of forums besides my band forum and I've not read anything positive about the Stomaphyx or the ROSE procedure. I've not read anything about the Apollo so that's a new one to me. Hopefully it is better than the other 2 and maybe someone will come on with more knowledge than myself. I do know there are lots of RNYers who need "tightenening" up so it would be good if someone came up with an effective fix for the problem. Good luck to you!
TamaraL
on 5/6/12 8:50 am
with the rose procedure many people say that it only helps the stoma temporarily.  so my question to the surgeon is how is this procedure different from the Rose procedure or the stomaphyx and how long is the effects suppose to last.

Tamara

Created2bGreat
on 5/7/12 10:45 am - NY

Thanks for for responding, I greatly appreciate it. I have been reading up on the many failed restorative procedures and I have tons of questions for the surgeon.

Even though I am still classified as super obese I don't feel the same desperation I felt when I had the RNY, so risking my life by going under general anesthesia for procedure that seems to yield a very minimal weight loss isn't worth it. I have lost over a 100 pounds on my own and would rather continue doing things my way. I am also going to inquire about the BOB. I will keep you ladies posted.

MsBatt
on 5/11/12 2:01 pm
In all honesty, given your previous failure with the RNY, and your high BMI, you'd be better off revising to the DS. Yes, it's a more complicated procedure, but it has a proven track record. And I really doubt your insurance company's going to pay for an experimental procedure, but pretty certainly will pay for an RNY-to-DS revision.
Tim Conway
on 6/4/12 10:56 am - Richmond, KY
Hi Gang,

I went in today , with my wife, to see her Doctor regarding her lap band (IMHO a lousy WLS choice) and I discussed the Apollo with them. They now do the surgery here in Lexington, KY. They no longer do the Rose procedure. The surgeries are similar and it really seems like it's just a modified version (equipment wise) of the Rose procedure.I had an Open R-NY back in 2001 and have regained 30 of the 170 I lost. Endoscopy showed my stoma etc.. had enlarged (pretty common). My Doctor will evaluate my current status and make a recommendation as to the type of surgery best suited for me. Back in the day , when I had surgery, we didnt get psych counseling and nutrition counseling. My habits stink!!! A revision would buy me time to relearn proper procedures and habits. If it would get me back to where I was I'd be thrilled and could always hope for more!!!

Tim
julianaXSM
on 12/3/12 1:59 pm

HI Everyone~ I had the apollo overstitch done on 11/20/12. My original GBP was done in 1996...I was 220-lost down to 140. I had gained 25lbs...over about 6 years probably 2003-2009 although I remained fit as I exercise pretty regularly. The last few years however, I have put on 10-12 more lbs...and my dieting did not work anymore. I was extremely depressed until I read about the revision stories...I was determined to get the rose procedure and then i met Dr. Shyam Dahiya in my area...OC, Cal. He told me about the Apollo overstitch and that he thinks the other revisions do NOT work especially the Stomaphyx...He said that the overstitch with Apollo allows for a much better stitch. the rose and the stomaphyx are endoscopic as well as the Apollo and my doctor said that it is hard to determine how large a stitch you are taking however with the Apollo it makes it much more accurate and eassier to grasp and stitch the pouch and the Stoma.

Before my surgery I read some negative (posts) and mostly positive studies.....infact the studies that I read did not mention having to do the surgery over and over again with the Apollo-

Now, I have been out for 2 weeks tomorrow. I have lost 7 lbs and I am not even exclusively on liquids although that is what was recommended....I am going to be better : ) anyway, I feel fuller for longer, I have more restriction and less hunger. I am excited to have this second chance! I go in for my check up tomorrow and hope they ok food : ) 

~Everyone needs to realize that no matter what, it is still up to you. If I wanted to, I could still squeeze in 2000 calories right now...I probably wouldn't feel good but I could probably do it. If I wanted to, I could sit around and eat 1000 calories worth of chips and crackers real easy with out too much trouble, so I still need to make good choices. The problem before having this revision was that I would eat very healthy and not stay full for long and it was much harder to diet to lose the extra lbs that I gained. Now I can do it!

Juliana 

lacyadjuster
on 12/23/12 6:34 am - Woodland Hills, CA

Hi, located your message today when I posted mine about having the Apollo procedure on 12/28.  Would love to hear how you are doing. 

Most Active
Recent Topics