Revision from lap band

Funmomof 4
on 5/8/12 12:45 am - Mechanicsburg, PA
 Is it a lot harder to lose once you convert from lap band to RNY? I am seeing a lot of people having difficulty. I am so scard of having this surgery and failing again. I have a BMI oh 60, do I have a lot to loose. My weight has been pretty stable over the past 3 years minus maybe 10 lbs of yo yo dieting. 
Thanks!

Tammi.  Lap band to sleeve revision Nov 27, 2012 

Hislady
on 5/8/12 2:10 pm - Vancouver, WA
The band hasn't worked for a whole lot of us so it's not even something you can compare. The RNY is a proven surgery and if you have a BMI of 60 they never should have done a lapband! I know of several folks who have revised to RNY and have done very well. You still have to follow a diet plan but it can be done if you work at it.
TamaraL
on 5/9/12 8:57 am
The biggest thing is that when you have the surgery to follow your dietary guidelines to a T.  Even though you may have been able to eat something when you had the lap band don't push your limits with the RNY.

WIth a BMI the lap band is not recommended beause of the amount of weight you need to lose. on average people lose 60% of their weight they need to lose.

Bypass 75%

Does your insurance cover the sleeve or duodenal switch.  i would look into those surgeries also with that high of a BMI.  Just do your research and make sure you do the best surgery for you.

You malabsorb vitamins all your life but you only malabsorb calories for the first 1-2 years.

you will always have to watch your intake with RNY to make sure you don't have regain.

Tamara

Most Active