Lap Band is out... need the down and dirty on RNY

Tracey K.
on 7/9/12 6:04 am - NJ
RNY on 08/24/12
Hello!  So here's the scoop.  My plans were to have revision from band to sleeve, however during a pre-op endoscopy, Barrett's esophagus (where the lining of the esophagus begins to look like the lining of the intestine from too much acid exposure, whch could be precancerous) was discovered, and my surgeon says there is a possiblity that the VSG could worsen the barrett's esophagus.  I still had the band out last Tuesday.  It needed to be done, I was in a lot of pain, throwing up, my port was flipped... etc.  So now my options are to have the RNY bypass, or nothing at all..  I am leaning towards the RNY, mostly because as many of you are in the same boat, find it extremely difficult to control appetite after the band is out.  So, what I am asking, before I make the drastic move, can I have the real deal details on the RNY, from recovery after surgery through maintenance?

Please help me in the confusing time!!!
MickeyDee
on 7/21/12 1:47 am
Check out the DS
MsBatt
on 7/21/12 1:56 am
I suggest you look into the DS. The DS has a Sleeved stomach, but it's not generally made as small as a stand-alone Sleeve is---and it's the tiny size of the stand-alone Sleeve that causes the acid problems. My DS completely cured my GERD.
mymeow
on 7/23/12 3:24 am - Parker, CO
RNY on 02/12/13
I need to get my band out because it has slipped.  Also, I was having severe heartburn and acid reflux.  Once the fluid was taken out of the band, however, it went away.  I met with my surgeon with full intent of getting the VSG, but my surgeon said if I had heartburn with the band, I'll have it with the sleeve.  Also, my father currently has esophageal cancer, so I want to avoid heartburn/reflux as much as possible.   I was told and read that with the RNY, you don't have issues with heartburn/reflux.  My surgeon has HIGHLY recommended instead that I go to the RNY.  After talking to a couple friends who have had both procedures (sleeve & RNY), and doing some research, I am now hoping to proceed with the RNY. 

Robin

Lap Band 4/15/2008 (SW 304); Revision to RNY 2/12/2013

HW for RNY 268, SW 255, CW 174

Most Active
Recent Topics