Sleeve revision to Gastric Bypass or DS - suggestions?

LadyLucky
on 8/25/12 10:54 pm - KS
I would love to hear from individuals who have had revisions from the sleeve to either the gastric bypass or the DS.  The pros and cons to each would be a great start. 

Thanks everyone!
Ladytazz
on 8/26/12 11:56 am
I am not a normal revision but I had a sleeve with my first surgery.  I had a DS in 2002 with a surgeon that wasn't experienced with them I guess.  My sleeve was much too large and I had no restriction.  I also had chronic bacterial overgrowth of the intestines and got to where I needed a revision.  My surgeon wanted to lengthen my common channel to reduce the malabsorption and to make my sleeve into a RNY pouch.  I thought about just having the sleeve made smaller but I decided against it for a few reasons.  I had severe GERD and I heard the RNY pouch would cure that (it did).  I also was nervous about not having enough restriction.  I wanted the most restriction possible because of my experience with no restriction.  I also got that and it turned out to be the best thing for me.  Of course I also have dumping, which isn't bad for me because I avoid sugar anyway and I haven't had a dumping experience in a long time.  I also have reactive hypoglycemia, which really scares me but again, I avoid refined carbs, eat often and I keep snacks handy all the time.  I've only had one episode in the last few months but of course I would rather not have any.
With either the DS or the RNY you will most likely have to avoid certain foods.  With the DS eating white carbs can cause intestinal problems and with the RNY eating sugar can cause dumping.  There is no free ride as far as eating goes.  With both simple carbs will be absorbed 100%.  With the DS the malabsorption is much more permanent while with the RNY it is temporary with regards to calories but not vitamins.  You will need to supplement more with the DS and the consequences of not being compliant with vitamins can be more severe but I have heard of people with the RNY having severe vitamin issues, too.
I guess the answer is within yourself and what your issues are and what you can live with.  Why do you think you having gotten the results you wanted with the sleeve?  Is it because you can eat too much or is it because your metabolism is messed up and you can't lose weight no matter how little you eat?  If that is the case then the malabsorption of the DS will give you more help.  If GERD is an issue you may want to go with the RNY.  Do you know that you will always be compliant with vitamins and lab work?  If not then neither is a good idea but the DS can be more dangerous.  
With the DS you can eat pretty much all the protein and fats you want.  If you love protein this may be your best choice.
For me, in hindsight, I would have done much better with a much smaller sleeve and a longer common channel.  With the longer common channel I no longer have bathroom issues, but I am also very careful about what I eat, avoiding all white carbs.  With the DS I was lactose intolerant but now I am not.
I don't know if I have helped much or not.  It is a personal decision.  Don't let strangers on a message board tell you what is best for you.  That is for you and your doctor to decide, taking into account your own issues.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

LadyLucky
on 8/26/12 7:42 pm - KS
 Ladytazz,
Thank you so much for sharing!  As you said, everyone is different but it's great to hear what others have been through and overcome. I'm glad to hear that your issues are getting better.  As this process progresses I'm sure I will have even more questions. Thanks again!!!
Hislady
on 8/26/12 1:59 pm - Vancouver, WA
I really can't compete with Lady Tazz's explanation! I just want to tell you she knows her stuff and is well worth listening to. Good luck on whatever surgery you decide on!
smileyjamie72
on 8/27/12 12:26 am - Palmer, AK

You already have the first part of the DS.  You have your pyloric valve.  KEEP IT!!!!!!!!

I am sure, as you have seen, the motto is think twice, cut once.'And I am also sure you have seen the alarming number of failed RNYs to DS revisions aswell.

The #1 thing I want to say is............ Go to a Surgeon who does ALL 4 Weight Loss Surgeries, and get the RIGHT information, to make THE BEST INFORMED decision FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!

And, as always: research, Research, RSEARCH!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck on YOUR journey!!!!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

pineview01
on 8/27/12 10:17 am, edited 8/27/12 10:45 am - Davison, MI
My sister has the DS.  I had wanted the sleeve but my center didn't do them when I got the
band.  Now that the band has failed I am trying to get the sleeve, (yeah, months after
getting the band they started doing the sleeve,)  I don't want the DS as I have seen
some issues my sister has that I wouldn't want.  BUT, if the sleeve didn't work I would
switch to the DS before the rny.  The DS leaves the valve intake.  I have heard over and
over again on these boards that the man made opening on the RNY stretches. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics