Surgeon nicked my spleen but revision looks promising (X Post)

LadyLucky
on 9/27/12 10:14 am - KS
Just thought I would share....

I was sleeved in December 2010. Long story short, there were complications during surgery and I needed a couple of blood transfusions during my week-long stay in the hospital. $53,000 later (insurance covered 90%), I lost about 50 pounds total and am now looking into a "revision" to a DS. About six months after surgery I was having major acid reflux (nearly vomiting) on a daily basis. After another scope, they discovered that my upper stomach area was dilated and they put me on medicine for the acid reflux, which I'm still on to this day.

A couple of months ago I decided to look into a revision or moving to a DS. I had my first consultation with my new surgeon Monday (sleeve surgeon moved out of state and doesn't perform the DS). All my records were sent to my new surgeon before my consultation and during our meeting she mentioned something about the nick in my spleen, which is what caused the bleeding during my sleeve surgery. Well boy howdy! That was the first I've heard that! I was told that my stomach was just really closely connected to my spleen and when they cut the stomach out I simply bled more than most patients. Yea, that's not what happened. Hmmm. I guess I didn't think to request the 197 pages of records, especially because there is a $160 fee for them.

I'm a little peeved but also glad I know the truth now. And I'm super happy that my new surgeon is sending a letter to my insurance company stating that it's medically necessary for a revision. She wants to fix the dilated sleeve, fix what she thinks is a hernia causing the acid reflux and convert me to a DS. Yay! I will be a super duper happy camper if she can help with the acid reflux and jump start my weight loss again.

AND, even after the DS I will still be able to donate blood! ......as long as my labs are good. I'm very passionate about that so it was a bonus to hear. Booya! I really like this new surgeon even though she's very straight forward and no nonsense. She's giving me renewed hope!

Anywho, just wanted to share some bad luck possibly turned good.
pineview01
on 9/27/12 11:30 am - Davison, MI
Congratulations!  I'm glad all is working out for you.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 9/27/12 11:35 am
Great!  Who is she?

You'll need to watch your iron levels VERY closely if you want to donate blood. Some DSers can, some can't.
Most Active
Recent Topics