gastrojejunostomy

lisa C.
on 10/24/12 1:02 am - TX
anyone have this done after RNY....and do you know what it intails and if anyone had luck with it?

LISA C.  

smileyjamie72
on 10/24/12 1:57 am - Palmer, AK

Also know as a feeding tube, right?
I had this after my RNY to DS revision.  It helps ALOT!!!!!  With having surgery on your tummy, the tummy is traumatized!!!!  The feeding tube enables you to get in ALL of you liquds (water & protein drinks) so you get nutrients and do not get dehydrated.  Getting dehydrated makes you feel like **** on a stick, and then you end up in the ER needing fluids.

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

lisa C.
on 10/24/12 2:09 am - TX
No feeding tube.......Revision to my RNY!

LISA C.  

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/24/12 3:39 am
Good lord what stone age surgeon is suggesting that barbaric procedure????

There is good reason that procedure is not commonly seen here or anywhere! I would RUN from a surgeon that would even suggest that procedure, and now wouldn't trust him even if he were doing something else. Yikes.

You do NOT want them to cut off your pyloric valve (even with the RNY, the pylorus is not in use, but should still be inside you, and can be used to fix your issues if you revise to something like the DS). Many of the RNY's problems come from not using the pyloric valve, and cutting it off and throwing it away is insane, and removes your options with revision or getting issues resolved FOREVER. 

Please please please research this more before letting that butcher do that to you. I also highly recommend talking to a top revision surgeon like Rabkin or Kesheshian in CA. Very few surgeons are actually qualified to revise a failed RNY into something else like a DS, so you will likely have to travel, and that's why you got the horrible suggestion you did from a surgeon with limited revision skills.

lisa C.
on 10/25/12 11:53 pm - TX

sorry but you must be thinking of another type of surgery....he is a great DR and did not remove anything!...tightened up the connection to my pouch that was VERY stretched and made my pouch smaller again that was also stretched!.....had it done on the 16th  and doing great....was just wondering how many people have had that done.....there are many definitions for that surgery......But thanks for your concern!

LISA C.  

MsBatt
on 10/26/12 9:38 am

The definition of  "gastrojejunostomy" is to form a direct connection between the stomach and the jejunum, which happened when you had your RNY.  Did he perhaps shorten your common channel/bypass more of your small intestine?

pineview01
on 10/28/12 6:30 am, edited 10/28/12 6:44 am - Davison, MI

Here is a definition I found for this;

A gastrojejunostomy is a surgical procedure that directly connects the stomach to the jejunum, the second section of the small intestine, by a small tube. The tube allows food, liquids, and medications to bypass the duodenum, the first section of the small intestine. People who have stomach or duodenum blockages, often caused by stomach or pancreas cancer, and cannot properly digest food may need to have this procedure done. In one common version of this procedure, one end of the tube is left in the patient's intestines, with the other end outside of the abdomen, to be used for feeding and giving nutrients for as long as necessary; this is often referred to as a GJ tube or feeding tube.

Which is why smileyjamie72 posted her experience correctly!

Than I found this;

Gastrojejunostomy (GJ) is a surgical procedure in which an anastomosis is created between the stomach and the proximal loop of the jejunum. This is usually done either for the purpose of draining the contents of the stomach or to provide a bypass for the gastric contents. Gastrojejunostomy can be done either by open or laparoscopic approach. Percutaneous gastrojejunostomy may be performed, in which a tube is placed through the abdominal wall into the stomach and then through the duodenum into the jejunum. In this article, we describe the indications, techniques, and complications of gastrojejunostomy

Which may explain why she and MsBatt are both right and which can cause confusion!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

smileyjamie72
on 10/28/12 1:06 pm - Palmer, AK

Thank YOU, Pineview!!!!

I have had a feeding tube, and my attitude towards it (It was put in during mt RNY to DS revision~I was aware ahead of time that this would be done) was that it was an added "Insurance Policy" to not get dehydrated.... I used this for liquid protein & water.  No trips to the ER for me for IV fluid due to dehydration!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

pineview01
on 10/29/12 3:49 am - Davison, MI

Your welcome!  I think a lot of people  would benefit from this based on all the ER reports here for dehydration.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

lisa C.
on 10/30/12 12:01 am - TX

thats what my doc called it and that is not what he did to me........just tightened up my connection to my pouch and that was very stretched and made my pouch back to the size it was when i first had RNY.....also talked to someone else from this sight that had the same thing done and called the same.........I had found many def on that surgery a bit confusing! I am sorry I even posted this!....some people are very rude and think they are docs on this sight!..not to mention any names... but I am sure you can figure it out.....also got many private messages about this! ....Thanks anyway

LISA C.  

Most Active
Recent Topics