Revision ? sleeve or bypass

mercedes66693
on 2/8/13 5:18 am

Hi so I'm having revision surgery I'm debating between sleeve or bypass.

I was all set on the sleeve now I'm leading more towards the bypass

I've only had the band 6 months but it's never worked for me and after my upper Gi they tell me my band has slipped and it's now up on my esophagus .  So I have a surgeon that will do the surgery I have to go to the Nut this week and they need to know what I want to do the sleeve or the bypass.  Part of the reason i was going for the sleeve is because some people went back to work the following week.  I work where no one knows I've had the band and I don't want them to know I've had either the bypass or the sleeve until i know it will work for me  but I also cannot take a long time off work I work in a small company and backup for people is unheard of. Plus we have one person their that needs to know everyone's business.  I'm not ashamed of having this done  but I like to keep things personal and this i want to keep to myself for a while. 

So I'm wondering how fast you've gone back to work with the sleeve or the bypass and which one everyone recommends thanks you

clpeltz
on 2/8/13 6:26 am

What is your BMI?  What are your co-morbidities?  These answers can help decide what is best for you.  And why are you not considering the DS as well?  You've already been through one failed WLS...make sure you are making the best decision for you before running into another one.  You don't want to have to do this a third time.  Every time increases chances for complications.

As for work, it is individual.  I am assuming that the surgery will be done lap since you are talking about trying to go back to work in one week.  Personally, I think that is unrealistic.  Your body is going to go through a major trauma and will need to heal.  It may be doable if the job doesn't require a lot of exertion.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

mercedes66693
on 2/8/13 6:43 am

when i first got the band my bmi was 40 since my band my bmi is 37 which was all due to the pre surgery diet for the band.  and I go up 5 lbs or down to my 37 bmi depending on that time of the month.  I'm being monitored now for high blood pressure my previous lap band surgeon said i probably had sleep apnea but i decided not to test for it because i was approved for the band without the apnea test.  My joints always ace in my knees due to my weight but again i haven't been tested for any of these things except the blood pressure.  I went back to work after 4 days on with the band no exertion with my job just want to do what's right for me i miss the real me

clpeltz
on 2/8/13 6:48 am

With your knees, I would lean toward the Sleeve or DS.  You will not be able to take NSAIDS with the RNY.  How do you do with typical diets?  Is it easy for you to lose, just hard to keep it off?  

Dr. Henry Buchwald

mercedes66693
on 2/8/13 9:26 pm

It used to be easy for me to lose weight but I've been up and down all my life and with age it's getting harder and harder to loose the weight.  I was leaning more to the sleeve when I first went to my doctor until I talked with two of them the doctor and the PA and it seemed like they were more for the RNY and nothing was mentioned about the DS.  They feel because the sleeve is rather a newer surgery that we don't know what the long term is going to be.  Still looking into my options the more and more I look the more and more confused I get.  I meet with my nut on Wednesday and they need to know which way I want to go.  I so want to move on with my life and I'm so disappointed with my band I feel miss led as far as my band went.  Like you say cut once wish they could have done that

Thank you

clpeltz
on 2/8/13 10:01 pm

It is easy to get confused....especially with so much mis-information out there.  Go to dsfacts.com to learn about the DS.  It sounds like you will need the malabsorption part of WLS to help with weight loss.  The problem with RNY is that the malabsorption only lasts about 18 months and then you absorb ALL calories again.  Post RNY is a low fat, low cal diet for life.  At first it is easy because you have a tiny pouch and can only eat small amounts.  But as time passes, you'll be able to eat more and it becomes more difficult.  Definitely check out the DS.  Your DR does not do it, that is why he didn't mention it.  It would be a good idea to check the DS surgeon list on dsfacts.com and find a DS surgeon near you and get their opinion.  If the DR doesn't perform the DS, they are not going to recommend it, no matter what is best for you.

Where are you located?

Dr. Henry Buchwald

Hislady
on 2/8/13 6:58 am - Vancouver, WA

My opinion and it is just that, an opinion is I would do the sleeve because I want to keep my pyloric valve that closes when you digest food so that it takes longer if you are eating dense protein. Also from what I understand the malabsorbtion of the bypass only lasts 18-24 months then the body starts absorbing calories again, where with the sleeve it may stretch a bit over time it can not stretch to it's original size, so it is in my mind a more permanent surgery. Over time the bypass seems to lose it's effectiveness unless you continue to really follow diet and exercise. The DS is also an excellent surgery but I know many insurance companies won't cover it. You should really read up on all of them and decide what will work best for you. With the DS and by pass you MUST take alot of extra vitamins and keep a close watch on your body with blood tests where with the sleeve the vitamin requirements aren't as strict but you still have to take at the very least a multi vitamin. I would think healing would be faster with the sleeve but I can't say for sure, depends alot on the person.

mercedes66693
on 2/8/13 9:32 pm

Thank you for you opinion how's everything going for you?

Hislady
on 2/9/13 7:58 am - Vancouver, WA

Just barely holding my own since I had my crap band emptied a year ago. The band was the worst mistake I ever made! So hoping to get a sleeve eventually.

mercedes66693
on 2/9/13 9:08 pm

how come you've waited so long to get the sleeve? Yes I hate my band it sucks I thought I did my research on it but I guess I was looking in the wrong places

Praying for both of us

Most Active
Recent Topics