Hair Loss After Revision - was it worse, same, better? I'm worried!

LadyLucky
on 1/12/13 7:06 am - KS
For those of you who have had a revision, was your hair loss about the same as with your first surgery? Was it worse? Was it better (less)?

The only major surgery I've ever had was my sleeve. And boy howdy, my already thin hair got even thinner. At one point, all I could do was wear it back so people couldn't tell how thin it was. And now, two years later, it's still thinner than it was pre-op. Yes, the thinning stopped but it never really thickened up again. I've had baby hairs since then but they never seem to grow out.

So....now THIS is my main concern with a possible revision to the DS. I can handle the surgery, the vitamins, the gas...I just can't handle being nearly bald! Really! The front is still so thin that anyone taller than me can see some of my scalp through my thin hair.

Is there any assurance that our bodies react better to surgery when it's not a first major surgery?
pineview01
on 1/12/13 12:26 pm - Davison, MI

I lost hair when I was banded and it has never came back as full (Didn't help I had the band when going thru menopause.)  I have once again lost having the band out. (I had lost 60 pounds in the 7 months prior.)  I too am very nervous about how much more I will lose.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 1/13/13 6:51 am - Vancouver, WA

I really think it depends on if you are prone to hair loss, usually the hair loss is from the surgery itself (telogen effluvian). Malabsoptive surgeries may also cause some hair loss if vitamin and minerals are correctly administered or absorbed. I haven't had a revision but I have had over a dozen surgeries besides my band and haven't had any noticeable hair loss. So you may just be more prone to hair loss to begin with. Myself I love hair pieces and wigs so there is an option or extensions, there are many ways to cover up or enhance thin hair. Good luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics