I need suggestions!!

cheyenne89
on 2/18/13 4:52 am - MI
So I had my band put in May 2010 and found out I was pregnant in July 2010. I lost about 30lbs in between then and once I got pregnant and had my son it all went down hill. I was not losing weight even after 2 fills. I am considering a revisal to the sleeve or RNY. I would love advice! I'm really torn. I just can't wait to get my band removed!

cнєуєnnє -  

Hislady
on 2/18/13 5:25 am - Vancouver, WA

With only 2 fills you probably never had restriction, it took 4 or 5 till I felt any restriction and that was with 1 cc each fill, so in total 5 ccs and at 8 ccs I was too tight. It is a very fine line. However if you want a revision I'd go with a sleeve because with the RNY you lose the malabsorbtion after 18 mos. to 2 yrs and many start to regain then. Plus you lose your pyloric valve which helps with digestion. I firmly believe the sleeve is the best surgery unless you need malabsorbtion then I'd say the DS is better than the RNY but often insurance doesn't cover that. With the sleeve the stretchy part of the stomach is removed so it can't get a lot bigger after surgery. The weight loss is very similar. Do your own research and be you can live with whatever surgery you choose. You have life long vitamins to take with the RNY and DS, something else to consider.

MsBatt
on 2/18/13 11:11 pm

You should also research a procedure called the DS/Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, and the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. Like the Sleeve, the DS preserves the pylorus and all normal stomach function. It also has an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY. Unlike the RNY, malabsorption of calories is permanent with the DS, especially calories from FAT.

Most Active
Recent Topics