3.5 years out from my VGS and now revising to Gastric bypass..... HELP!!!

rows4u
on 2/20/13 12:43 pm
Revision on 03/11/13

So I'm 31 now, almost 4 years later and 1 kid later, I'm finally having a revision done on March 11th. I haven't gained back all the weight that I lost from the VGS but enough to be unhappy with myself again!

I need help though, I need more support and I guess some friends to hold me more accountable for my actions and decisions that I make in regards to exercise and food choices.  My family and friends are all fit and tiny little things so it's really hard for them to understand what I struggle with or why I need that extra push. They are supportive when it comes to the surgery but I know that I do so much better when I know someone will be checking in on me. It's hard to explain the emotions that go along with WLS and for skinny people that have never felt those emotions before, it's like talking to them in a different language.

So basically what I'm asking is if anyone would be willing to be a WLS buddy... hold me accountable for my actions, remind me what I need to do if I get off course, encourage me so that I can get back on the right path of my life because I know that I am this weight because of decisions I made and just need a little push before I take off the training wheels!

I haven't gone on a liquid diet in years and I'm a little nervous about that as well. Any suggestions on what type of liquid diet? Thanks for listening and sorry if I sound desperate indecision

smileyjamie72
on 2/20/13 1:47 pm - Palmer, AK

Since you already have the sleeve, the most logical revision you should have is the DS..... you already have the 1st part of the, the sleeve.  DSFacts.com

The DS has THE BEST long term weight loss stats.  Also, you can never ever take NSAIDS again, for life. 

I urge you to RESEARCH all of your options, and possibly change surgeons.  You already have your approval, from your insurance right??

Keep your chin up!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

rows4u
on 2/21/13 11:43 am
Revision on 03/11/13

My doctor actually suggested me not doing the revision to the DS. He gave me a lot of sites and papers on both and basically he said that malnutrition is a big side affect from DS and isn't as healthy for someone with a calcium deficiency to undergo. He does do both surgeries so I know it's not because he doesn't do the DS in his office. The insurance was approved last week and I got my letter of approval a couple of days ago. I'm afraid with how busy of I life I have and how NOT strong willed I can be sometimes, I might struggle with the RNY. So many questions running through my head about the whole thing!!

MsBatt
on 2/22/13 12:42 am

Ask your surgeon how many DSes he's actually done. (He's not on the vetted surgeons list at DSFacts.) Honestly, it's really the best long-term surgery there is, period.

beanybaby
on 2/22/13 7:00 am

There are a few red lights here, and you can see them or not. Not only is he not on any DS surgeon list I can find, he doesn't even list it as one he does on his own page. It's likely he may have assisted with some, but he's not an actual DS surgeon. If I had a buck for every surgeon that has said that to get someone in the door (and yes, said to my face as well) that didn't really do the DS, I'd be sitting on a stack of money.

The calcium thing also is odd, since you are just as likely to have calcium problems with RNY than DS, maybe moreso. He may be a nice guy, but his info falls short.

clpeltz
on 2/20/13 8:09 pm

IMNSHO....the only logical revision from the sleeve is to the DS.  Have you even researched the DS.  Go to dsfacts.com to get lots of good info.  The DS has the VERY BEST long term weight loss stats.  With the RNY...regain is an issue.  You malabsorb calories for only 9-18 months and then you will be back where you are now.  With the DS, you malabsorb for life.  Don't just go by what your doctor does.  Research ALL your options and do what is best for you.  You can't make that decision until you research ALL your options.  You don't want to be back here in two years with the same problem and no where to go.  

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Whit
on 2/22/13 5:48 am
Revision on 12/10/12

I have to say I agree with the ladies. At least look into it.  Confront the Dr. about the types of revisions he does. In my case I went to a Dr. who said he preformed revisions. I had 3 meetings with him, saw his nutritionist, had the required barium swallow. On the last meeting when I asked again about revision to DS he said he did not preform it.  Just get the straight story.

If you decide to go the RNY route good luck to you. It does work for some people long term just not me. You should also find a WLS buddy at your Dr.s or some other WLS support group.

Good luck

Whit

Mosnoor
on 2/26/13 4:40 am - MI

I too had the sleeve I am two years out and feel that I hit my end early.  I want to investigate different options too.  I was wondering if you knew how long they make a person wait before they will even talk surgery.  I had the sleeve because my husband was uncomfortable with me having the RNY.  I would love to be you buddy you can add me to your friends 

Bonnie

brigitta
on 2/26/13 8:54 am - Germantown, MD
Hi... On January 29th 2013.... I had a revision from the sleeve to the RNY...laparoscopically of course. So far I am not having any problems. I originally lost about 80 pounds in 2010 and that was it. Like yourself I made bad choices in the end. Well let me tell you with RNY... Bad choices aren't an option.... You can't eat as much... A lot of food I loved... Don't interest me anymore...and if you try and eat the wrong thing... You won't do that again. For me... It gives me the restriction that I need to say "no." So I've lost 15 pounds in the last four weeks since surgery. Im at a stall now but I'm seasoned enough to know that my body is simply adjusting. Besides I only have 38 more pounds to go. So I hope this helps. And I do take all my vitamins everyday with no problem.

smileyjamie72
on 2/26/13 1:13 pm - Palmer, AK

Brigitta,

You are also in the "honeymoon" phase.  I LOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDD my honeymoon phase with my RNY 10 years ago.  But my RNY failed me long-term.

Best of luck to you

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active
Recent Topics