Considering band to RNY -- advice please! Very nervous...

christyj74
on 3/6/13 12:03 am

Hello all!  I have had my band since 2006 (or 2007, lol...can't even remember).  The band never worked for me.  As soon as I figured out how to "eat around it", it was all over.  I'm exactly the weight I was pre-band surgery now (272).  I met with my doctor this morning and she thinks I should consider revision to RNY.  I've always thought about this but it scares me.  I'm worried if I don't do something I'm going to end up diabetic and will have major health issues from that.  Please tell me your experiences with band to RNY...

renee73
on 3/6/13 11:26 pm - Atlanta, GA
I am in the same situation as you. I went to see my surgeon last week to discuss revision from band to sleeve. He explained to me that if the band has caused damage to my esophagus, I may have to have RNY. I'm having a Manometry study today and an EGD next week to see what's going on.

SW: 278  LW: 189  CW: 215 GW: 160  

jray10706
on 3/7/13 4:30 am

Same situation as me!  I already have the diabetes/high blood pressure/joint issues.  I am so scared to have the surgery, but I am also scared not to. 

cecile babin
on 3/13/13 1:25 pm - Canada
I had band 2009. Damn thing never worked. Approved for revision to sleeve, but i came out of or with a rny. Band had cause too mich scar tissue n damage that they had to perform rny. Its been 10 months n i lost 90 poinds so far. No complications and im happy. Waiting to see pastic surgeon in june. Best decision was to have band revisd.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/14/13 4:24 am

There are more successful surgery options. Make sure you research the sleeve and DS, before you are cut. You have more choices now, than if you have to have another revision later.

Most Active