please help me.... sleeve to ds

DenisesNewLife
on 5/31/13 10:04 am - PA

Hello -I was sleeved 2 years ago and was suppose to have the ds surgery but because of  gaul stones I ended up with the sleeve- worked great lost 60 pds before surgery and then 165 pds after  - still have 60 to 70 to loose yet and have not lost an ounce in 10 months. My surgeon says he can finish the surgery and turn it into the ds. Is there anyone out there who had this done. I need advise.

Denise

Hislady
on 5/31/13 10:41 am - Vancouver, WA

Not all surgeons do the DS as it is a complicated surgery but if you go to dsfacts.com you should be able to find a surgeon to do it for you, good luck!

DenisesNewLife
on 5/31/13 10:58 am - PA

my surgeon does many ds surgeries   I was looking for someone who had been sleeved then had the ds

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/13 1:04 am
On May 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM Pacific Time, DenisesNewLife wrote:

my surgeon does many ds surgeries   I was looking for someone who had been sleeved then had the ds

Lots of surgeon DO DS, doesn't mean they are safe.  DS is not like a band or sleeve, it is a very difficult surgery to do and takes years of practice.  That is why there is a list of vetted DS surgeons, those that have already completed the learning curve.

pineview01
on 6/1/13 12:39 pm, edited 6/5/13 12:39 pm - Davison, MI

They used to do the first stage (sleeve)  than do the second stage (switch) in two steps all the time.  That is how the sleeve came to be.  When a patient was to at risk to do the whole surgery in one shot, they did the sleeve waited until they lost weight and had less risk and than did the switch and found many were doing well with the first part and decided not to go ahead with the second surgery.

If your surgeon says you are a candidate for the second part you need to decide that with him.  Good Luck!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

~Tonya ~
on 6/2/13 4:12 am - Tucson, AZ
Revision on 05/08/13

Sounds like it's time to go for the second stage!  I just did mine about 4 weeks ago.  Feeling great, and 15lbs down.  

Tonya

Lap VSG March 11th 2006, Converted to DS May 8th 2013

From 294 to 165 with Sleeve, regained to 238, then had DS

DenisesNewLife
on 6/2/13 12:40 pm - PA

Thank you for your reply- don't know why I am so scared since this is what I was suppose to get from the very beginning.  am glad your doing well. The surgeon that will be doing mine has done many of the ds so that is good.  are u able to  do dairy products and how about your bowels. is there a way we could talk private on here

~Tonya ~
on 6/3/13 6:35 am - Tucson, AZ
Revision on 05/08/13

Yes, dairy is ok.  Yogurt, cheese, or a small glass of milk have all been fine.  I do have gas, haven't figured out what are the triggers yet.  Bowels are fine too.  I go a couple of times in the morning, and again around bedtime.  Sometimes feel very crampy right before I have to go, kind of like when you've eaten something bad in the past, and it went through in a hurr? Overall, it's not too bad.  My common channel is 125cm.  We can exchange messages if you use the message feature on the top right of the screen.

Lap VSG March 11th 2006, Converted to DS May 8th 2013

From 294 to 165 with Sleeve, regained to 238, then had DS

MARIA F.
on 6/7/13 9:13 am - Athens, GA

Hey Tonya I was just reading your post and was wondering about the regain. Did your sleeve stretch too much? Do you see this a lot with sleeves? What is your opinion of VSG in general?

FormerlyFluffy.com

wdufford
on 4/27/16 3:11 pm - Mount Pleasant, SC

Hi - I saw your post about the 2nd stage.  I had my sleeve 2.5 years ago & have been putting on weight for the past 6 months & nothing I do seems to bring it down.  Do you know if I get the 2nd part - DS - does insurance cover it because it's considered part of the 1st?  Just wondering because my BMI isn't like it was before & I'd rather not wait til it is.  Any advice?

Most Active