Psych evealuation for revision

pst726
on 7/23/13 7:22 am - TX

I have to have a psych evaluation for my insurance to consider covering a revision surgery.

For some reason I am very nervous about this appointment. I am not sure what they are going to ask, if they will think I am a good fit or what will happen.

Anyone care to share your experience with this step?

Hislady
on 7/23/13 1:30 pm - Vancouver, WA

For mine they had me fill out a few questionaires one day and then came back like a week later and talked with the psych for awhile and he said great good to go. However my weight gain is more from other health issues that prevent my exercising so as far as what I ate he said I should do well with the diet part. First and formost be honest and IF they say you need some counceling or whatever don't be insulted because lots of us can use help with the mental part of the trip. I would think tho since you are a revision they will know you can follow the diet and exercise part. The band is famous for not working, it only has a 50% weight loss success and that doesn't mean they all lost all their weight just that they lost some weight. The majority of the time it is the band that fails us not we who fail the band. I wish you the best, just relax and be honest, you'll do just fine!

pineview01
on 7/23/13 1:43 pm - Davison, MI

I had to take the MMIP evaluation on the computer.  I also had to take two other short ones that I found out he was using for research.  Than I had a 5/10 minute face to face.  I too was more nervous about this than I was the first time I took it for the band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Tomson
on 7/23/13 8:41 pm

Dear pst726,

Since it is a revision consultation the psychologist may ask about why you "failed" with your first surgery? I would not get angry and say, "I felt that way for a long time, but then I read professional articles (which you can print off from this site and bring with you) about the operation failing the patient. He/she will want you to understand that there are much higher risks for complications with a revision. I would simply say something like, "I know the risk for complications can be 3 times as great as the first surgery. I have given this great thought and talked about it with my doctor, friends, and family and I feel like I am able to accept these risks because I know there will be definite complications from my weight if I do nothing. I rather face possible risks than certain health problems in the years ahead. You may say that you understand that obesity is a complicated disease and that surgery is not a magic bullet, but a tool that can help you manage this chronic condition with a far greater likelihood of success than diet and exercise alone. Honestly, they just want to make sure that you understand the risks and have weighed them in your decision to go forward. Please don't be afraid as psychologists generally want to help people and they are well aware of how ineffective diet is as a means of weight control. I wish you smooth sailing.

Tomson

pst726
on 7/24/13 12:13 am - TX

Thank you all for your replies.

My appointment will be face to face for an hour and she is the one that I am required to see by my doctor. I will keep your suggestions in my mind when I go.

Mochablazin
on 7/24/13 7:27 pm - San Bernardino, CA
Most Active
Recent Topics