WOW: Revision is a Major a surgery

tdbull
on 8/19/13 3:04 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I had my revision surgery and gallbladder removed all with 1 laparoscopic surgery. WOW. 3 hours in OR. This is a much different surgery than lap band. I've been in hospital 7 days. I got a small infection at the site where my drain was. They have been treating this but going home tomorrow. I started IsoPure drinks today and phase 2 full liquids tomorrow. Surgeon says my pouch is really small, like the size of a walnut, but will expand some over time. I barely got in 40 grams of protein and 35oz of liquids. Not hungry at all. This surgery has kicked my butt, tho. No energy at all. Sure hope its worth it.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

JudyAz
on 8/19/13 10:09 pm - FL

It WILL be worth it. This is just the hard part and you had like three procedures..removal of band, removal of gallbladder and then bypass...that is a lot of surgery. You will get stronger day by day. You are my hero! Just wait till you see that scale moving down, down down! Keep sipping and moving and let us know how you are doing.

heathercross
on 8/20/13 1:08 am - New York, NY

I had quite the opposite experience.  I had an OPEN RNY in 2002, I was in the ER for 3-4 hours and in the hospital for 7 days.  I was out of work for 6 weeks.  I had my revision in June o f 2002 and also a hernia repair and it was maybe 45 minutes tops, stayed overnight and walked home the next day.  I also went back to work the next day. 

I was surprised at how this was.  

I am glad you are OK and doing well. Don't pu**** take your time and you will do great!

Lisa O.
on 8/20/13 2:25 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I hope you have a safe and easy trip home.  Maybe it's the tri-fecta of surgeries that made your recovery more difficult.  I guess I won't feel too bad that my surgeon made me remove the band first and wait 4 months before revising. 

Hopefully you are on an upward trajectory and will feel much better soon!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

pineview01
on 8/20/13 1:33 pm - Davison, MI

You're right Lisa, I was upset at first that I had to have the band out and wait.  That was until I saw that it was harder to do all in one and that the risk of complications was greater.  The sleeve was a breeze for me compared to the band and the band removal even with the 45 extra minutes of undoing the band related mess. The drain and catheter caused more issues than the surgery.  I hope your revision will be as easy for you.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MSSEXXC74
on 8/20/13 5:51 am

Congratulations! I'm sorry you are having problems.  But just notice you said a minor infection.  So it looks like it will be handled pretty soon.  what surgery did you revise from and which did you go to?  I hope you get to go home soon and that the trip home is peaceful and problemless.  (Is that even a word? LOL

pineview01
on 8/20/13 1:34 pm - Davison, MI

It will all be so worth it for you!  Take care.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active