RNY to RNY Revision-Question??

jillS
on 9/6/13 2:21 am - Tinton Falls, NJ

Hello,

I had RNY gastric bypass 7 years ago.  I was very successful and lost almost all of my excess weight.  After about the 5 yr mark, I started to put a few pounds, which turned in a few more, and now I find myself back at 250 (My heaviest was 326).  I feel awful and depressed and disappointed in myself. 

After my new bariatric surgeon (not my original surgeon) sent me for a barium test, he told me that BOTH my pouch and stoma are very stretched.  He recommends a revision to tighten the pouch and stoma back and give me that restrictive feeling again.  He also said he has done 100s of  times and has seen patients be very successful.  

I JUST found out I am approved and now I an very nervous about having another surgery...most of all, I am embarrassed and afraid to fail (again) 

Has anyone had their RNY revised and if so, HOW are you doing??  PLEASE respond and let me know!  I am very motivated to get this weight off and get my life back!

Thanks! 

Jill

Member Services
on 9/6/13 3:15 am - Irvine, CA

Hello,

It sounds like your surgeon confirmed there is a medical reason for your weight gain.  Please don't beat yourself up.  Stay with the basics and take it one day at a time.

We did a search for you and found other posts where members were talking about revisions/success. We hope these help!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=revisi on+success&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID% 3A9

jillS
on 9/6/13 4:07 am - Tinton Falls, NJ

Thank you very much for the links!

Member Services
on 9/6/13 4:28 am - Irvine, CA

You are welcome!  If you need anything else contact us at [email protected]

Lisa O.
on 9/6/13 3:42 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I would post this on the RNY forum.  I didn't know you could do an RNY to RNY revision.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Suzanne_Paulette
on 5/30/17 12:48 pm - Lamonte, MO

I'm getting rny to RNY proximal to proximal. He's making the pouch smaller, just the egg size, as everything is normal. Stoma fine, pouch normal 1 cup stretching ...but i have a fistula. They're going to fix that, resize my pouch minimally & not bypassing much more intestine. I've gained half of my weight back - HW 340 LW 160 CW 240. My excluded stomach is working and no malabsorption is happening for the last YEAR. I'm mad more than anything...

IWanted the DS, my surveying wouldn't refer me, due to the fact that I don't have a horrible amount of weight to lose. A Aaah!

AngelicMythology
on 9/6/13 10:19 am - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

I had rny to rny revision. My pouch and stoma were fine. My surgeon made me more distal. After surgery he commented on the amount of intestines I have. Anyways surgery this time around was much easier. The first time, I felt like someone ran me over lol. This time around I felt a little sore but was walking around the hospital that evening after surgery. Both o mine were done open. I was extremely tired for almost a month. Then again, it was done at the end of January and I live in Buffalo, lol.  

I started at 235 lbs and am sitting at 167 lbs right now. I'm still losing but it's much slower this time around. I'm hoping to lose about 20 lbs more.

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

OliverandCompany
on 9/8/13 2:05 pm

Hello I had my original surgery in 2006 and was very successful. I was 278 and lost to 132 and stayed there for 1 month. I then began regaining and stayed around 170 until December of last year (2012) I began gaining and have now gained to 212 pounds. I had an endoscope and found out my pouch is very large and have been classified as medical failure. My doctor plans on doing this surgery open as well as my first surgery and he plans on removing a lot of my intestine due to the fact I have problems with my bowels and he said I have a lot of intestines. Regardless of what the doctor calls it, I still feel as if I am the failure. I have recently been approved for revision and feel this is a 2nd chance for me. I also live in the Buffalo area and wonder how you are doing and what have you found helpful this time around. What have you found different. How is the recovery and have you told friends and family or did you keep this a secret?

Thanks Chris :)

jillS
on 9/8/13 11:59 pm - Tinton Falls, NJ

Hi Chris,

Sounds like our situations are similar!  I now have a date of September 24th and am excited but very nervous!  I havent told anyone yet except a few close friends and don't what to do about that either?  I am embarrassed and feel like a failure also  :(

Please keep me posted as to how you are doing!  Do you have a date yet?

~Jill

msbooshee
on 9/11/13 6:16 am, edited 9/11/13 6:18 am

Hi Chris.  I am having my surgery 09/25.  They have found out thru a endoscopy that i have staple line displacement.  my pouch is 100 closed and my stomach  has a hole in it.  A am nervous, but ready for the pain to go away.  i had my initial RNY on 02/2001

Most Active