Sleeve or RNY?

Michelle I.
on 12/30/13 3:19 am - VSG-1/6/14, CA

I am getting ready to have my revision surgery.  I am still not sure what is best for me...which revision.  Has anyone gone from the band to the sleeve and wish they had done RNY?  Or visa-versa?  I know what my issue is with food and both revision will help me...just still up in the air on which one is BEST for me. 

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/30/13 7:56 am

Only you can know which surgery you would be happy with. Read the differences, and make a pros and cons list. The only real suggestion I would make, is to also read about the DS. If I were to get a malabsorbtive surgery, it would only be the DS over RNY for many reasons. 

So for me, it came down to do I need malabsorption, or not. I would not allow my pyloric valve to be cut, so it was VSG if I only needed restriction, and DS if I needed the caloric help of malabsorption. I also plan on taking NSAIDs for pain, so these were my only real choices.

Michelle I.
on 1/5/14 3:32 am - VSG-1/6/14, CA

thank you so much!   This really helped me sort it out! 

rivieramaya05
on 12/30/13 8:09 am - TX
VSG on 12/16/13

Have to talked to your surgeon and asked his/her opinion? I just had my band removed and a sleeve done. I did ask my surgeon if I should choose RNY because I'm very overweight. He told me that The sleeve still would get me down to where I needed to be.

I would not have had RNY done because for me personally it just wasn't the right choice. I'm glad I was sleeved and 2 weeks out I'm down 25lbs already.

Michelle I.
on 12/30/13 10:16 am - VSG-1/6/14, CA

Thanks Rivieramaya05.  My surgeon said it will depend on the condition of my esophagus   But I am

favoring the VSG.   Just don't want to make the wrong choice.  

pineview01
on 1/5/14 2:29 pm - Davison, MI

How well did you do with the restriction only of the band?  I lost 50 pounds with the band, 60 for a week.  I never found the "green zone".  The band limited my portions. I am done a total of 120 pounds.  That is with the 20 pounds pre band, band regain and now down 40/50 lower than with the band.

I chose the VSG to avoid a lifetime of nutritional supplementation.  The complication are less with the sleeve and recovery is usually faster.  Also the results are showing that the weight loss is about the same.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

kaplanrhonda
on 1/8/14 3:44 am - Richardson, TX
RNY on 12/16/13

I revised from the band to RNY.  I decided that I wanted/needed more then restriction.  I also believed all the things  they told me about the band, totally reversible, less invasive, less complications  I now know that was not  true (my own experience).  

I wanted to be able to eat salad again, I just wanted to be able to eat healthy again without vomiting daily and most 3-4 times a day.  I don't care about having to take the supplements, they are still less expensive then all the prescription medication I have had to take, since I regained 80 pounds of the 100 I had lost with the band.

I know that I have to take responsibility for my life, health; and that no matter what, I will have to exercise on a regular basis for the rest of my life.  I also know I will have to deal with my "food" demons for the rest of my life; they don't go away just because I had WLS.

Most Active
Recent Topics