need some support

Bella0821
on 1/31/14 7:56 am

I had been posting on the DS board because i am going for a RnY revision to a DS next week and needed some suport, but all the people there were able to do for me was scare me about my doctor.  I really just need some support, my surgery is on Thrusday and now I'm a little scared and a little excited.

everlasting
on 1/31/14 9:05 am

I am excited for you! If you have concerns just make sure you address them with your doctor beforehand. If you feel uneasy about it you can always find another doctor. YOU are the person that has to be confident with your surgeon. Just relax a little and look forward to your day.  I am sure that the folks on the DS board were just giving their opinion.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Bella0821
on 1/31/14 9:37 am

thanks and what are you having done

Ladytazz
on 1/31/14 11:32 am, edited 1/31/14 11:36 am

I'm sorry you took that as scaring you.  Perhaps you need to be scared.  I had a DS with a surgeon that wasn't very good at it, not much experience and none of his patients did well.  Back in 2002 things were different and there was no one to warn me about him.  I had  8 years of problems including regaining 100 lbs.  The DS is a very difficult surgery to perform and I sure wouldn't want to be among the first 50 or 100 patients that he has done it on.  I doubt my surgeon had even done 10 at the time and no longer will do them because of all the problems his patients encountered.  And you have an even more complicated  revision.  I don't want to scare you but one person who was warned against a surgeon but insisted on going to them because they didn't have insurance and this was the cheapest.  She went to Mexico.  She wound up with a lot of complications, including not being able to have a sleeve and wound up with many thousands in medical bills here in the states.  If she were around I would direct you to her and she could tell you herself how she wished she had listened to the advice she was given.

Another person was scheduled with a vetted surgeon but at the last minute he disappeared and was giving the option of having another surgeon in the practice do her DS.  Rather then wait for an experienced surgeon she didn't want to wait any more and went to this surgeon, who I believe had done fewer then 10 DS's.  Sad to say she isn't here to warn you since she didn't survive.  If you think I am trying to scare you I would be happy to give you their names and you can see for yourself.

Don't blow off good advice because it isn't what you want to hear.  Put on your big girl panties and advocate for yourself.  Do you know what he plans on doing to you?  Is he going to give you a sleeve or keep your pouch?  How many previous RNY to DS revisions has he done and ask him to put you in touch with some of his revisions.  Ask him his complication rate and his death rate.  Ask him who he proctored under.  If you are too afraid to ask these questions then I am afraid you will deserve any problems you have.  This is your body for God's sake.  Why are you taking any kind of risk?

Edited to add a few links to support what I am saying.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4190355/Larissa-needs-help/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4204027/Larissa-Lives/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4438614/Stephanie-Capek-StephanieAZ/

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 1/31/14 12:10 pm - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13
On January 31, 2014 at 3:56 PM Pacific Time, Bella0821 wrote:

I had been posting on the DS board because i am going for a RnY revision to a DS next week and needed some suport, but all the people there were able to do for me was scare me about my doctor.  I really just need some support, my surgery is on Thrusday and now I'm a little scared and a little excited.

Please, please, please listen to the people warning you here and on the DS board. Why not go to a surgeon who has a lot of experience in RNY to DS revisions? It's your life and your body at stake!

Putting off your surgery for a little while won't matter in the long run. What WILL matter is having peace of mind that you fully researched your surgeon and that you're under the best possible care. I wouldn't be comfortable with Dr. Fang cutting into me for a revision to a DS based on the info here on OH. 

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

MsBatt
on 2/1/14 2:14 am

Somestimes scaring you is the best support you can get. The revision you are seeking is the most complex one there is. It should NEVER be done by an inexperienced surgeon.

Unlike many, I have heard of Dr. Fang---but nothing that leads me to think I would be comfortable with him performing this procedure on ME.

clpeltz
on 2/1/14 6:58 am

You SHOULD be scared.  You are risking your LIFE.  You don't want support.  You want everyone to tell you what you want to hear.  Well, you are not going to get that here.  If you want to risk waking up with a ERNY...then you will have to live with the consequences.  You have been told that your surgeon is not an experienced RNY to DS surgeon.  You have been told who is.  You are choosing to stay with a surgeon who, not only is not a RNY to DS revision surgeon, but isn't even a very good virgin DS surgeon.  Think!  You only get ONE life.  Are you really going to keep on this track with so many people waving the red flag?  To do so shows much ignorance and closed mindedness.  The only 'support' I can offer you is a hope that you won't end up dead.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Linda K.
on 2/15/14 10:04 am - Omaha, NE

Hi.  I am not sure if you went ahead with your revision or not but I agree with the others. Make sure your surgeon is skilled in revisions.  I chose one of the top D's surgeons in my area to do my revision.  I had complications ((not due to the surgeon but due to the mess left by my previous BG surgery).  Take your time,choose wisely and you will do great.

Most Active
Recent Topics