April to Me Means Revision from Band to Sleeve

chicaletta
on 3/29/14 11:42 pm
VSG on 04/24/14

The month of April is soon upon us and that means on the 24th is my revision surgery from Band to Sleeve. My story began in 2008 when I made the decision to be banded. My success was not that great, my greatest total loss was 54 lbs with about 15 of that from the preop diet. I went from 254 down to 200 never reaching ONEderland, I then would teeter between 200-208 but had alot of problems with food getting stuck and for the amount of food I was eating should have been losing weight. After an upper GI I found that my band was too tight and had fluid taken out, on the second dr visit to adjust a fill I weighed in at 219 and knew it was time to revise to the sleeve. 

So my new journey is ready to begin, the insurance company approved band removal and sleeve surgery. I am scheduled for surgery the 24th of April and I'm both excited and a bit scared at the same time. One of the reasons I chose the band in the beginning was because it was not permanent. I'm also having the dread of failure or problems with the surgery going through my head. I'm thinking I should have put in for more time off from work...I'm only taking a week. But enough negativity! I took full advantage of eating things I know I won't be able to for a while and I'm ready for a new beginning. I've been trying out some protein shakes and would love some recommendations of what are the favorite of others. New month is going to mean new attitude, new beginnings and new goals!

dreamqueen
on 3/30/14 2:38 am - MD

This is pretty exciting. I am also considering a revision. I was banded in 2007 and have regained half of my excess weight back. Good luck with your procedure!

FeFi
on 4/2/14 8:18 am - GA
RNY on 04/24/14

Thank you for sharing your story with us.  I have a similar story as you and I will be having my revision done on April 17th (Banded 2009 revised to RNY 4/17/2014). I am very scared but happy at the same time, because I am taking my life back.  My Dr. told me I would need to be off for 2 weeks and I am thinking about taking 3 weeks off just to make sure I am doing okay afterwards, as my job is very stressful.

chicaletta
on 4/2/14 11:41 pm
VSG on 04/24/14

Thanks Dreamqueen and keep us posted if you decide to get the revision done. 

FeFi Good luck with your revision! 

happygurl429
on 4/8/14 12:05 am - Belleville, MI

Good luck to you!  I am in the same boat...band in 2008, lost 100 lbs.  Gained back half of that in the last year due to being too tight then too loose and back and forth.   I am now scheduled for a revision on May 2nd.  I also am planning to take a week off work, but I am questioning whether I will need a second week.  I am hoping my recovery is as quick as it was with the band!  After a week, I started feeling back to normal.  I'd love to stay in touch with you since we are on the same path! 

Christina

chicaletta
on 4/8/14 12:45 pm, edited 4/8/14 2:16 pm
VSG on 04/24/14

Christina I wish you all the success with your upcoming surgery and would live to keep in touch throughout our similar journey. Tomorrow I begin my preop diet and in hoping to drop some weight with it. With the band I believe I dropped about 15 pounds preop. So I will soon see how I do this time. I have my preregistration appointment this Friday. 

Denise

chicaletta
on 4/8/14 12:46 pm
VSG on 04/24/14
peanut16
on 4/8/14 11:46 pm - Willow Spring, NC

I am also in the same boat with you as well like many others.  I was band in 2009 and only lost about 65 lbs and regain about half back too.  However today is my day to get the sleeve in and band out.  I wish you all best of luck with your new tool and prayers to you as well.  

Peanut16

chicaletta
on 4/10/14 12:48 pm
VSG on 04/24/14

I hope your surgery went well.....keep us updated with your progress.

tray1977
on 4/15/14 3:00 am - NC
VSG on 09/05/14

I am happy for you! I was banded in 2009, went all the down to 186 lbs..I am now 228 lbs, I recently had to change doctors because my dr closed down his office, my new Dr, is wonderful he saw were my band was too tight and it created a hernia, he took out all 9cc of fluid out of my band, he provide me with three options and one of them was to go with the sleeve, I just called yesterday to confirm that I will be going thru with the revision of the sleeve.  

Most Active
Recent Topics