RNY Revision, after 1st one was botched. Anyone else?

majestikbutterfly
on 4/13/14 9:46 am - Temperance, MI

I had my original RNY back in 2002 and never got below 300 because the surgeon didn't do my pouch and intestines correctly.  I have been told by several docs that the original was not done right. I am suffering all of the effects from it, but none of the benefits. I am working towards a revision now, hopefully in July 2014.

I am just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.  I have had a lot of emotions come up lately about it and feel like I am the only one out there. I have gone to a support group from my current surgeons office, but I haven't found anyone who has gone through what I have. I hear so many successful stories about their first surgery and feel like it should have been me but wasn't. I know I am not the only one in this situation, but it sure feels like it. 

Anyone out there like me? 

-+=*Michelle*=+-

MsBatt
on 4/14/14 1:42 am

I don't have any personal experience with this, but I strongly urge you to research revising your RNY to a DS, especially since your original surgery never got you below 300. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

needy
on 5/15/14 6:40 pm

What is a DS? Anyone knows surgeons in LA area that do RNY revisions? Thanks.

Becka_1949
on 4/14/14 1:56 am

I also had rny in 2001 - Kane, Pa.  I was supposed to get a "Micro  Pouch" which was supposed to help me loose better & faster. I started out at 335.  I have had stomach pain off & on for several years.  Had a LOT of testing done - it was determined that I had NO pouch -my intestine is working as my stomach & l have only been able to loose about 135 lbs in 11 years. Back when we had surgery, it was so new, they didn't know enough about it!  You're not alone - I bet there are lots of others -just nowhere to comment about it! :)

semperfidelis
on 4/17/14 2:43 am

I had revision. My first surgery wasnt botched...I had a serious complication and they had to do emergency reversal. 3 yrs later I found a surgeon ready to reoperate on me I he re-did a RNY. I m doing good,i lost 40 punds in 3 months ( i was barely over 200 pounds but I had a lot of side effects) and I feel great. Hope that I was helpfull.

nicoletta84
on 4/24/14 11:53 am

I'm getting my revision in 2 weeks I had rny in 2006 and my pouch was never created small enough from the beginning I'm going in 2 weeks on May 8th.

Roni W.
on 5/15/14 9:02 am, edited 5/15/14 9:04 am - Forty Fort, PA

My original RNY was botched also. The surgical group I went to had 3 surgeons......two of them had a waiting list, the other had tons of openings on his schedule.....should have been a huge red flag, right?? I was just so anxious for the surgery, it never even occurred to me that there might be a reason for that. 

Found out after surgery that the doctor only stapled my stomach......he didn't make the cut to separate my pouch from my stomach remnant. One of the main reasons they DO cut the two is to sever the vagus nerve, it has to do with preventing nausea, and it also helps slow the production of Ghrelin - the "hunger hormone".

i started vomiting two weeks after surgery and haven't stopped for 5 years! I have horrible ulcers. Many times a week I throw up......plus constant nausea. I can't eat any meat or anything with any consistency to it......plus I'm constantly hungry.....there's more but it's just been awful.

My new surgeon also said that with the way the other surgeon routed my intestines, combined with my ulcers, that he may have no choice but to remove my pouch and hook my jejunem directly to my esophagus. I'm scared but want this fixed once and for all.

Even with all that screwed up - I still have to have a BMI of 35, plus a co morbidity , etc to qualify for insurance payment! Hoping my surgery will be in about 8 weeks.

best of luck with your revision, please keep us updated about surgery, you'll be in my thoughts! :)

Roni in PA :)
"Those hairline cracks running through me are stronger than your wholeness. Every stitch on me represents an obstacle I've overcome."
                                                    gu siorraidhbrath

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/16/14 8:53 am

I'm not sure what side effects you are suffering, but many are due the the pouch of the RNY like dumping, reactive hypoglycemia, marginal ulcers and possibly regain.  Revising to DS would resolve those. If the issues are that you have to supplement and adjust for bathroom issues, you would still have to deal with that for any malabsorbtive procedure. 

You are blessed to have both Drs Kesheshian and Rabkin in CA, who are among the very few who are skilled enough to do the RNY to DS revision. 

Most Active
Recent Topics