Revision from VSG to DS--leaking poop??

stormechaser
on 5/5/14 4:36 am
DS on 06/08/17

This is weird, I guess. I had my surgeon consult on 4/21. I am 2 months into my 6 month Insurance pre-op wait. According the the doctor, my sleeve was made too big on top and narrow at the bottom, so no resleeving. But-he wants me to consider the RNY as well as the DS. I went in asking for the DS becasue I am NSAID dependant (psoriatic arthritis). But, I also have GERD and he said the RNY will cure that. I'd rather take a Prilosec daily than be riddled with ulcers in my RNY pouch. I think that's a no-brainer.

Here's the real dilemma...he said he is concerned the DS will give me stinky BMs and cause fecal leakage. He emphasized that the stink could cause issues since I work in an office. From everyone I have talked to and everything I have read, the smells/gas/other is related to what we consume. But leaking poop??? When I've had horrible stomach flu or a reaction to meds (glucophage) I have had accidents such as this. I don't know if I can live like that forever, though.

I told the doctor I would research the RNY more to appease him, but my mind is already made up for the DS. I am just trying to gather more information.

Hislady
on 5/5/14 5:19 am - Vancouver, WA

According to my info from an RNY group they also can suffer from stinky BMs also, there is stuff you can use in the toilet to help with it but it can still give you stinky farts too. So either way it's a stinky proposition/ Try posting this on the DS forum they will be full of info for you.

Ladytazz
on 5/5/14 4:27 pm

A lot has to do with what you eat.  White carbs can cause issues.  Also bacterial overgrowth.  A good probiotic will take care of that.  Many time their consumption of carbs so that they aren't around anyone if they have issues.  You can ask this on the DS board.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

D. Switcher
on 5/6/14 11:43 am

I would do DS revision if I could, but it hasn't worked out for me. Proboards WLS has a lot of positive info on DS. Check w Goodkel.

Sleeve to DS Conversion - Regain 290# Current weight: 252# - VSG lowest weight: 235#  

"Serenity to Accept, Courage to Change, and Wisdom to Know..."

***all comments are my personal experience and/ or opinion***

PHAT_at42
on 5/7/14 10:41 am
DS on 03/12/14

I am a VSG to DS revison on 12 Mar.  I would not have it anyother way. I have had zero complications and I poop every other day once sometimes twice. I have not had a problem with control(but I follow the rules).  Yes...my poop and poots are verrry stinky...but I use an odor eliminator before, during and after and it works. 

The surgeon from my initial revison consult said almost the same thing (and worst) to me about the DS in a attempt to get me to revise to RNY instead. I was so upset when I left his office but I did not weaver that the DS was the best choice for ME and at almost 2months post op I am still convienced.  BTW...I did not have surgery with that doctor!

Good luck with your choice!

m1=23, M2=11, M3=4(had stall for 3wks), M4=6 M5=6 M6=6 M7=4 M8=3

I am a VSG to DS revison!

MS.LISA
on 6/19/14 3:57 pm - Salem, OR

that is awesome that you had no complications was wondering what doctor did you go to for the revision and how much weight have you lost so far?

pineview01
on 5/8/14 6:13 am, edited 6/21/14 2:04 pm - Davison, MI

My sister has the poop issues.  She doesn't have issues with leakage.  She does have to run to the bathroom first thing in the am.  Also she has to use it with EVERY meal.  The order is so bad that when we cruised together, she had to use the public toilet.  Once she used ours and I knew when I walked in.

But, she had the DS in '06 and lost all her weight and has all but 20 still off.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Holdenwhat
on 5/13/14 2:57 pm

I had a revision from RNY to DS 2 months ago. It is true that the gas can be really bad but a lot of it depends on what you eat. I am still in the process of figuring out what prompts gas and what sits ok (as I write this, I am realizing that bean soup-not surprisingly- is pretty deadly). I have to run to the bathroom a couple of times every morning. 

Having said all that, it is my understanding that your body eventually adjusts and symptoms die down. There are OTC medications that help in the mean time. I have attended a DS support group and, quite honestly, I was sniffing to see how bad a group of DSers would smell. I didn't smell anything. Even if nasty gas continued, I consider it a small price to pay to be thin. 

And finally, my two cents about RNY. I had a horrible experience with it. I only lost 35 pounds despite strict adherence to the post op diet, then I proceeded to gain 165 pounds. My stoma stretched and food sailed through my stomach rapidly, leaving me hungry every 3 hours. If I did not eat as soon I felt hungry, I had major blood sugar drops that would take me all day to straighten out. It was miserable AND I was gaining weight at the speed of sound. I have also had friends who have had bad experiences with RNY and they are considering revisions. Based on what I have seen and experienced, I encourage anyone considering RNY to think again. I know it has helped a lot of people but not always. 

Holdenwhat
on 5/13/14 2:59 pm

Oh, yes, I wanted to comment on my experience with bowel leakage. It has only happened to me one day and that was because I thought I was simply farting. 

White Dove
on 6/19/14 9:02 pm, edited 6/19/14 9:19 pm - Warren, OH

The surgeon wants you to be fully informed of what might happen. 

This will help protect him if a DS patient of his has that complication and then files a lawsuit against him for malpractice. 

I signed a paper saying that I had been informed of all known possible complications of my surgery.  The statement that struck me hardest was one death per 200 RNY surgeries.  Those stats are much better now and probably less than one death per thousand directly attributed to the surgery. 

While you want to go into this with a positive attitude, you also do not want to be wearing blinders.  Everything might be perfect with your surgery, or there could be life-changing complications.  Should you develop fecal leakage or unusual odor problems after surgery, it may become impossible for you to continue working in an office environment. 

My sister is a lawyer and RNY post-ops had come to her for advice when they lost their jobs because co-workers complained about their flatulence.  She has never taken them on as clients and does not believe that they would win a lawsuit.  We discussed this before I had surgery and she wanted me to be aware that was one risk that I was taking.

Although not often discussed, fecal leakage happens with DS, with RNY, and with the sleeve.  Although it is jokingly referenced by "Never trust a fart" poop can just leak out with no warning or feeling of farting.  I thought mine was from the intestinal part of the gastric bypass until I learned it also happens with the sleeve. 

Eating carbs and not getting enough fiber are factors, but fecal leaking never happened to me before I had weight loss surgery.  It might never happen to you or it might become a chronic condition.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics