Banded 10/08, considering getting it removed and getting the Sleeve

TravelinJen
on 5/6/14 6:30 am

I have had nothing but problems with the Lap Band that I got in '08. I have had the port flip twice(haven't gotten it fixed again because they can still access it, just doesn't look pretty!). I suffered from nausea for a year even with my band mostly unfilled, turns out it was reflux from the band that went away when I had most of the saline taken away. After having two babies, I have gained back 30 of the 60lbs that I lost. So, decided to give the band one last go last week. Got a small fill and could do nothing more than liquids over the weekend, then Sunday night had sharp pain. Went to the surgeon Monday and he took out some saline. Thought I was better, but pain came back, so surgeon took out more saline today. I'm getting an upper GI tomorrow and I fear the band has slipped. If it has, heck, even if it hasn't, I'm thinking about getting the Sleeve. I never really had problems with GERD until the band. I'm wondering if it will continue if I were to get the sleeve. The other surgeon in the office said bypass is better for GERD. The side effects from that just scare me! With diabetes, high blood pressure, and recently high cholesterol, I need to do something! I'm 247lbs at 5'9 and I need to get healthy. Thanks in advance for your advice! 

Hislady
on 5/6/14 12:46 pm - Vancouver, WA

As long as the GERD is caused by the band most people can get the sleeve, it does tend to give many people GERD for at least awhile but it often goes away after a few months. The surgeon probably will put you on a PPI to keep the gerd from flaring up. I know many many people who have revised from band to sleeve or bypass. It is very common to have to revise from the band.

MsBatt
on 5/7/14 10:58 am

With diabetes and high cholesterol, you should consider getting the complete Duodenal Switch, not just the Sleeve part. The DS has the same stomach, plus an intestinal bypass that's fantastic at resolving both diabetes and high cholesterol.

tdbull
on 5/8/14 1:18 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
My surgeon recommended band to RNY, and it eliminated GERD altogether. I am extremely happy with my revision. You may want to chat with your surgeon about RNY versus Sleeve.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

TravelinJen
on 5/8/14 6:20 am

Thank you!! I will talk to him. 

pineview01
on 5/8/14 6:59 am, edited 5/12/14 12:41 pm - Davison, MI

Like hislady said, if the Gerd is caused by the band than removal of the band takes care if the issue usually.  I didn't have Gerd until band.  The band was removed and the Gerd was too.  Now the band can cause damage to the stomach and esophagus that is permanent.

With the sleeve, our center puts us on a PPI 2X a day for one year to prevent the sleeve from overproducing acid to damage the new sleeve.  At six months I cut back to 1 a day and had I not known from research posted here on OH I would have thought I had made a mistake and was going to have reflux for life but after 3/4 week you adjust and now after reducing the last one at one year, going thru 3/4 week of reflux again, I am totally off the ppi's and NO REFLUX.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

TravelinJen
on 5/8/14 7:17 am

Oh, good to know! Did you have band taken out at the same time they did the sleeve, or two separate procedures?

pineview01
on 5/8/14 7:57 am - Davison, MI

Our center requires you to wait between for the stomach to heal.  I was really upset with this as first.  But they explained it is the recommendation of the ASMBS to reduce complication risk like leaks.  If you read back those that have complications did it in one surgery.  So if your surgeon recommend it don't fight it.

They have not had ANY leaks in a band to sleeve revision doing this so far.  The is a 3% rate in revision surgery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

TravelinJen
on 5/9/14 9:26 pm

Good to know, I do like my new doctor, however, I do want to get a second opinion on this so I will discuss it with both doctors. 

Most Active
Recent Topics