RNY Revision because of ulcers. . anyone?

libragirl76
on 8/10/14 6:44 am

I am almost 4 years out for RNY and weight loss is not the problem but the last two years I have dealt with horrible pain,  bloating, nausea,  vomiting, constipation and diarrhea. To make my story shorter I ended up at ER with hemoglobin of 3.1 and 6 weeks prior labs were normal. Since all test were normal on scopes and every other test the gi dr believes the bleeding is on the old stomach because of ulcers. I am on medication for ulcers and feel a little better but I have been on it a month and still having issues. Anyone had surgery to remove the ulcers because two years is long enough for me?Would it be considered the VSG after the revision surgery?  Did you feel better and recovery well?  Any help would be great! !!

LOVING LIFE AND LEARNING TO LOVE MYSELF

Starting Weight 255/// Goal Weight 140////Current Weight 121

Lisarn1
on 8/11/14 2:18 am - Raleigh, NC

Same here. I had my RNY surgery in 2009, lost the weight, but I've had several marginal ulcers. This last one has taken 6 months to heal, and it's not yet closed. I saw my Bariatric surgeon the other day, and he suggested revision to VSG. This will solve the ulcer issues, as well as give some restriction. Also considering a newer option in addition called a single loop Duodenoileal Bypass as a second step to the VSG to add the malabsorption component. I'm not sure about this part yet, but it would be more favorable than the DS as there is only one anastomotic juncture instead on two found in both the RNY and DS. 

The VSG revision surgery entails reattaching the remnant stomach and reversing the intestinal bypass. After the reattach meant of the remnant stomach, the partial Gastrectomy is performed. As MsBatt cautioned me in my recent pot to this board the other day, please Vet the surgeon you would like to use by making sure that he/she has an excellent track record with these types of revision surgeries. I suggest that you discuss options with your surgeon and find out what you have available to you, as well as what will work the to resolve your issues.

Lisa

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

libragirl76
on 8/11/14 6:14 am

Ohhh thank you so much for your reply. I have a lot of research to do. I hope all works out for you

LOVING LIFE AND LEARNING TO LOVE MYSELF

Starting Weight 255/// Goal Weight 140////Current Weight 121

Most Active
Recent Topics