Sleeved but considering revision to Bypass or DS

Karen M.
on 8/15/14 9:44 am - Rockwall, TX
DS on 12/01/14

I had the sleeve in 2011 and initially lost about 90 lbs.  Since that time, I've gained back 70 lbs mainly due to really bad GERD.  A lot of time, I throw up because of it.  I'm considering either the bypass or DS, even though my insurance will probably not approve the DS because my BMI is not 50 or over.  Can anyone tell me what to expect with a revision to Bypass?

HW:  268             SW:  268              CW:  230.02             5'5"                   48 yrs old              

Ladytazz
on 8/15/14 1:56 pm

Reflux can be a problem with the sleeve.  A lot of doctors recommend the bypass for people with GERD.  I had a sleeve and it got so bad that I would wake up at night gagging on acid.

I was talking at least 2 Prilosecs a day and I still had problems.

Since my revision I haven't had a Prilosec since 3 months post op (my surgeon puts all post ops on Prilosec for 3 months to prevent ulcers) and I haven't had a problem.  My GERD is basically cured.

Since you already have issues with GERD with a sleeve the DS wouldn't change that.  I assume you are taking PPIs and it isn't helping much.

GERD is the only comorbidity that the DS doesn't seem to improve.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

cindyj578
on 8/15/14 3:00 pm - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

Hi Karen, I just had the revision from the sleeve to the Bypass because of GERD, on July 29,2014.  I am so thankful I was able to get the revision.  I am 2 weeks out and don't have GERD anymore.  I can't tell you how this has changed my life.  It has been a tough road, the GERD was debilitating.  My recovery has been tough on me but doing so much better.  I am down 21 pounds in two weeks.  Just incredible.  They say that revision patients don't lose as much or as quickly as 1st time patients, but I am happy so far.  The main thing for me is no more GERD.  I still can't believe it.  My stomach was in excellent shape therefore he didn't alter the stomach, just did the bypass.  I had my sleeve in 2007 and it was still small and not stretched, I had it done in Mexico with Dr. Alvarez.  My Dr. here said that it was in excellent condition.  I did have a fairly large hernia, in which the stomach was up into the cavity and that didn't help the reflux.  So, he fixed the hernia, did the bypass and I am so happy.  I would recommend the bypass over DS.  Only because of my experience so far.  I have seen quite a few people that have gone from the sleeve to the bypass because of the GERD, and so far all of us have had great success.  I hope that this helps in your decision.  Cindy

Most Active
Recent Topics