Wait Times?

softballqueen89
on 8/27/14 3:08 am - Canada
VSG on 02/24/15

Wondering if there are better or worse (or the same) wait times for someone who is having revision surgery??  I was hoping that since we have been through all of the pre-work before they might save some resources and not make us go through it again.  Any words of experience out there?

Referral: 08.13.14  Orient (TWH): 11.05.14  Social: 11.27.14  Nurse Prac: 12.10.14  Psych: 01.12.15 Nutrition Class: 11.18.14  Scope: 01.06.15  Dietician: 12.12.14  Meet Surgeon: 02.06.15  Pre-Op Testing: 02.18.15  SURGERY DATE: 02.24.15 (Dr. Okrainec)    

PrincessSherbear
on 8/27/14 9:31 am
Revision on 09/11/14

It is dependent on a few things for example you have to go to an information session, see the following professionals - Surgeon, Nurse, Dietician, Social Worker and depending on what they say will decide the timeline till surgery.  Sometimes the surgeon may need to do a scope down the throat to see what is happening in the stomach or the dietician will want you to make changes in your diet or the social worker may want you to see a psychiatrist. As well as the spots provided by the funding from the province.

If you get a chance to pick up the book "The complete Weight-Loss Surgery Guide and Diet Program by Sue Ekserci and Dr Laz Klein" they do a great job in explaining the whole process and give great suggestions.

My personal experience has been its taken close to a year but I have had to wait 6 months for a surgery date due to them cutting back on the funding from the province to the hospitals.  But in 14 days I start living life again :)

kwashington09
on 8/28/14 5:26 am, edited 8/28/14 5:27 am

I went to see my new surgeon had the EDG a week later got insurance approval 2 days later. Took the stress test, physch eval, and sleep study within 2 weeks. I pushed out the date of the surgery to gather the money for the surgeons fee because I had no clue it would move so quickly. I go in for preop testing on 9/4 and surgery set for 9/8. Things have gone so fast I am finally getting to digest the reality of it all. If I didnt have to plan arrangements for my son and make sure my husband is prepared for whats to come I could had my surgery in 3 weeks from my intial revision consult. Start to finish for me is less than 60 days.

Good luck.

berryphila
on 8/28/14 12:05 pm - Cherry Hill, NJ

Wow!  Good for you.  Just as point of reference, what is your surgeon charging?  Hospital costs?  I am seeking a DS from r ny and may have to self pay.  Just curious, if you don't mind.  Thanks!

pineview01
on 9/1/14 2:03 pm - Davison, MI

I would ask that on the DS boards.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/29/14 11:39 am, edited 8/29/14 11:39 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Congratulations on your surgery date!!!  What was your surgery before and what are you revising to?  Please tell me what Insurance company you have?  Thanks and best wishes.

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

taamom
on 8/28/14 5:54 am

I was wondering same thing, went to see surgeon on Tuesday, scheduled EGD for this Sat, sleep study tonight, and psych consult next Wed. That is really quick, so hope insurance is just as quick. I want this band out like yesterday. 

llmas11
on 8/29/14 1:21 pm

I went to see my doctor and we discussed the revision due to a failed band and some ahot health issues with it. The paperwork was submitted on Friday and the lady told me it could take a while. She called me on Monday with my approval!  I have BCBS of PA. I didn't need to do any testing to submit to the insurance. 

pineview01
on 9/1/14 2:06 pm - Davison, MI

For me it was a long hard fight.  I had to do everything over that I did for the first surgery.  I had to add a 6 visit with an eating therapist. (I still see her on my own).  Than after insurance approved, my center puts all the cases before the group before doing a revision.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

roseygirl
on 9/1/14 3:59 pm

I have uhc thru chase and they said if my doctor can make a Damn good case with sufficient documentation for why a revision is necessary they would maybe approve it. Otherwise I'd have to go through the entire six month process which sucks because a) I've already met my max out of pocket this year and b) will not have same job/ins on sox months. Crossing my fingers and toes!

Most Active
Recent Topics