Looking for Members who have Been Re-Sleeved or Had Second Sleeve (Cross Posted in VSG...

bublegirl1
on 4/24/16 1:25 am
RNY on 11/10/14

I revised to rny. Got to under 200 lbs for the first time since grade school. I gained 20 lbs back. But that's not the surgeries fault. It's all me. Going through a divorce after 15 years and having two special needs kids, one of which has been bullied and harmed at school, I allowed stress to creep back in and used food as my supper like I have my whole life. So it's still a battle and always will be but I won't give up. I'll get there. :)

The recovery was a lot like the sleeve was. Wasn't bad at all. 

-Amie

bublegirl1
on 9/25/14 2:24 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I'm so glad you got a couple opinions and made a decision! Good for you! Good luck and please stay here and keep us posted!

-Amie

Ruth Bostick
on 9/26/14 10:27 am - Statesville, NC

You do know that the sleeve is just the first step to the RNY, right?

bublegirl1
on 9/26/14 1:41 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

The sleeve is the first part to the DS. 

-Amie

greatwitness
on 9/29/14 2:44 am

I was sleeved on April 10, 2012 with little to no weight loss.  I spent 2 yrs searching why I was not successful .  I was finally blessed to find a Dr. to help me with the continuous journey.  I was approved and now look forward to a second chance at a better life toward a healthier me.

I will keep you posted on the outcome.  Wishing everyone the best on their continuous journey to a healthier lifestyle.

Quanita L.
on 10/6/14 12:51 pm - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

I am very glad you found someone who is willing to help.
Good Luck to you, and hope to see how everything is going in the future.

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

greatwitness
on 11/13/14 11:27 am

Hi Quanita,

Hope all is well. I promised I would keep you posted on the outcome of my journey. I had my RNY on October 2. I have been blessed to have released 25 lbs so far.  This journey is different from day to day.  With each experience I am learning to listen to my body.  

Hope to hear from you soon and thanks for the well wishes.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/7/14 9:51 am

Resleeves not usually done unless the stomach was shaped incorrectly. They don't usually just make a correct sleeve smaller, as the stomach tissue gets too thin, and there is noting to keep it from stretching again, and thinner still.

The sleeve is the first half of the DS, which is the most effective of all the surgeries. There are no benefits to RNY over DS, but there are some benefits to DS over RNY. The only reason most surgeons do an RNY to a sleeved stomach (that was fine) is that they are not a trained DS surgeon. 

If you have to revise to a malabsorbtive surgery, you'd be better served talking to a surgeon that ACTUALLY does all surgeries, not just says they will till they get you through the door to the RNY mill. Good luck.

Kingsmom
on 10/7/14 12:25 pm

Amy you explained it perfectly ! I just had my revision from band to sleeve and thought about going for the full DS but decided that I would try the sleeve and try to work with it, modify my habits, etc.  if the sleeve proves to be insufficient help I will go for the DS. Like you said, it is the most effective and does have  benefits over the DS. I also learned that if my bypass fails there are few effective options left.  

Got rid of my band!  Got a sleeve! 

VSG with Dr Wilhelmy Mexicali Bariatric Center 

Quanita L.
on 10/7/14 12:32 pm - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Thanks Amy,

I spoke to two surgeons - one said he would only do RNY on me - which I did not initially like but I didn't think he was 'pushing it'. When I went to get my endoscopy done though (he did that) two other patients prior to me were also doing RNY and they had not had surgery before.  I thought that seemed quite drastic first time decisions and from talking to them I don't think they understood the differences between all the options that surgery does or why they were choosing RNY over anything else. Then I thought maybe we was steering patients in that direction.

My initial surgeon suggested the mini-bypass or omega bypass.  From the research and scientific papers I read after it seems to have all of the benefits of RNY but is much safer, has way less instances of reflux and almost no dumping (the safety is attributed to the surgery being a shorter time and only having one rejoin site rather than 2).

I also researched sleeve surgery due to both patient failure, not enough weight loss after the first sleeving and as far as I can tell as long as the surgeons are able to cut inside the initial stitching it is very safe and have similar results short term weight loss results compared to a first sleeve.

The skin I stretched is not going to be there any longer.  It's not a thinner part of the pouch I originally got, it is additional skin outside of my stitching line.
What I will be left with, is essentially the same as what I had last time, only slightly thinner (in circumference not in thickness of the stomach wall).

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

Most Active
Recent Topics