13 Weeks out finding myself drinking wine everyday??? RNY revision from lap band

bygodsgrace26
on 11/4/14 2:24 am - La Mesa, CA

Hello all it has been years since I have been on this forum.. I started out in 09 with a lap band, and I lost about 70 pounds and gained GERD and a bunch of other issues. On 8/4/14 I had a revision to RNY all is going great so far, but my only issue is that I have started drinking wine everyday like I am an old wino our something. And its like everyday when I get off and go home that is the first thing I want to do is have a glass of wine then cook dinner, then have some more wine until i go to bed.. Has anyone else had this issue? I am guessing that it is transfer of addictions, but this is one that is scaring the hell out of me.

White Dove
on 11/4/14 10:31 pm - Warren, OH

An alcohol addiction following RNY is not uncommon.  If it was me, I would throw away all of the wine and find an AA meeting.  There is research being done on why this happens to some of us.

Achohol can lead to a lot of sorrow and ultimately death.   I am not condemning you.  Your posting is a cry for help.  Throwing the alcohol away, going to AA, getting a sponsor are first steps. 

The decision to walk into a room at AA will be the hardest part.  The peace and acceptance there can change your life.  Please don't wait.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Hislady
on 11/5/14 6:21 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with the OP get rid of the booze and get thee to AA or some kind of a support group before you ruin your life!!! So many have had problems with transfer addiction and didn't figure it out until too late, please don't be one of them. Take that fear and use it for recovery!

QoftheU
on 11/5/14 1:40 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

IMMEDIATELY pour ALL alcohol down the sink.  As in, right this very minute, and as the others have said, get to an AA meeting as fast as you can.  You do NOT want to walk down that path after all the good things you're doing for your health.  You revised to get BETTER not worse!

You can do it! 

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Karen M.
on 11/5/14 1:47 pm - Mississauga, Canada

And you should be scared. Stop drinking NOW. If you need help to do so, get it. This is not something to fool around with. Your liver is already working double-time and you are literally assaulting it with alcohol with every sip you take.

Please believe me when I say this - you do NOT want liver issues, ever. And you WILL if you continue drinking. My liver decided to crap out in 2013 and tried to take me out with it. And it very nearly succeeded.

Please stop drinking and get some help.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Kate -True Brit
on 11/5/14 5:42 pm - UK

Exactly what the others say.  By posting this, you have already made the first step, and one of the hardest. Now you need to make the next step by getting rid of the wine and getting help. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 11/5/14 9:13 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

If you are not into self help groups look for any addiction clinics in your area. Most of them around me will at least screen you and tell you how they can help you.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/5/14 11:49 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I don't need to add any more about alcohol addiction. You recognize the problems that can cause. The other issue is, drinking will derail your weight loss, and make you start gaining again. Besides being a lot of empty calories, alcohol is turned directly into sugar in your digestive system. Go to any AA meeting and they'll tell you that those who quit drinking get horrible cravings for sugar. Ice cream, candy, sweets of any kind. 

This won't be easy, but you can do it. Don't be afraid to let us know how it's going.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Ladytazz
on 11/6/14 2:48 am

I just wanted to add that you may be able to find a rehab you can go to.  Check with your insurance or employee assistance program or see if you can find something online.  

I don't know where you are located but here we have a detox center that a person can go to to get off the booze and they will help you get into rehab from there.  I hope you have something like that.

You may need help getting off the booze.  No shame in that.  You aren't the first and you won't be the last to have this problem and there is help and things will be so much better when you are in sobriety.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

bygodsgrace26
on 11/12/14 6:50 am - La Mesa, CA

Thank you all for your responses, and suggestion's I am planing to speak to someone professionally with in the next few days.. I will let you all know how it goes..  

Most Active
Recent Topics