Band to Sleeve - Date set 3/12!!

Joanna B
on 1/29/15 6:43 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Hi There! 

I have not been to the boards in a while but am grateful to back =]

I had the Lap Band May 2007. Did wonderful and lost 70-80 pounds (take a look at my pics!) then within the last year I have been experiencing reflux, had to have an unfill and I gained back all the weight I lost, and then some. Right now I am at the highest weight I have ever been. I saw my surgeon Tuesday and made an appointment for a revision to the Sleeve. My date is set at March 12!! I was worried about the reflux with the sleeve but my surgeon believes 100% of the reflux is coming from the Band and after I have this removed the reflux would not be so bad (with medication of course). We are doing a scope Friday to confirm there are no other issues. I am so excited to start feeling better again but am nervous that this Sleeve will also fail. I choose the Band because it was either this or Bypass. At the time my surgeon thought the Band would work better because I was only 100 pounds over weight. The Bypass is not an option again. I am self pay and the only option with self pay is the Sleeve. I read that some need revision with the Sleeve. This also worries me. So here is my questions..

Can anyone provide me with their experience with the Sleeve? How is your diet? Can you drink alcohol? Do you still take acid reflux medication? How was the first few weeks post op, pain, etc? How long did you take off work with the surgery? (My surgeon said I need 4-6 weeks off work. I work from home so I was hoping that I can take a week off and then work from home the next two weeks.)  Any other suggestions?

Sorry so many questions =]

I really appreciate all of you!

Hislady
on 1/29/15 11:29 am - Vancouver, WA

Actually you are correct in being leary of the sleeve with reflux, it is not advised when you have reflux but that being said many folks have had theirs go away once they revised to the sleeve. If you have a hernia that could also be causing reflux. If your scope comes back good you would probably be ok with the sleeve. You should do a protein strong diet of protein first, then veggies and finally if there is room maybe a healthy carb but most people are lucky to get their protein in for quite a long time. Alcohol isn't advised for the first 6 mos to a year depending on your surgeons plan. It is just empty calories and makes you more prone to eat things you shouldn't plus there is the possibility of addiction transfer that can happen before you realize what is going on. Alcohol will hit you differently post op. As for reflux meds that varies with surgeons too, some put you on for a limited time in the beginning  and others want you on them for life. I would suggest you make a list of some of these questions that only your surgeon can answer and address them to him because all surgeons are different.

Bonnie1960
on 1/30/15 8:53 pm

Hi Joanna,

I was a 13 year LapBand and was recently revised to the Sleeve on Dec 1st...No reflux (Had a horrible time with Reflux with the Band) Ive lost 30 lbs already. My doc has me on all foods, my tummy has me on 6-7 bites ONLY...it's amazing!

Post Op, felt just like Band, Laproscopic soreness only, I took 2 weeks off work, I've ridin my Harley and have felt no lack of energy.  I am taking more Vitamins now, than I did with the Band, (Iron and B-12 and Pre Natal) 

I feel terrific!!!

LAPBAND Surgery in Norman, Oklahoma on 12/3/2003

Vertical Sleeve  Revision Surgery  in Amarillo, Texas on  12/1/2014   

jackfre
on 2/8/15 12:27 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/26/15

Hi

Thank you so much for your posts.  I was banded 7 years ago and also have acid reflux so bad pretty much everyday.  My original surgeon passed away and the last one I had moved out of state.  I haven't found a new MD yet (many don't accept my insurance) but am hopeful.  Did you have your revisions in one surgery?  I didn't think they did that due to possible leaks.  I would love to only do one surgery.  Good luck to you all.

Jackie

Bonnie1960
on 2/9/15 9:29 am

Mine was all in one surgery, along with hernia repair. Took about an hour or so... 

LAPBAND Surgery in Norman, Oklahoma on 12/3/2003

Vertical Sleeve  Revision Surgery  in Amarillo, Texas on  12/1/2014   

Joanna B
on 2/19/15 6:30 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Hi there,

Yes, my surgeon is removing the band, fixing the hernia, and doing the sleeve all at one time. Because I am self pay he said this will cut down on the cost. I'm so happy that I do not have to have multiple surgeries! :)

MamaofTwins
on 2/15/15 5:41 am

Thank you for posting you have given me hope, I have had my band for 7 years and having a revision March 23 to the sleeve everything I read is negative saying weigt loss is sloe but you give me hope I am making the right chose 

thank you thank you 

Celeste H.
on 2/19/15 2:50 am - Cedar Park, TX
Revision on 05/12/14

I had my band in February 2008 and did great with it, losing over 150 lbs (half my body weight)...then I had a succession of three slips over the next four years. The last slip literally nearly killed me, and I had to have an emergency revision surgery the day after Christmas 2013. My surgeon would not do a sleeve revision at the same time because he said my body would not have survived the extended surgery (I was THAT bad from the dehydration the band caused me) so I waited five months. I had the revision in May 2014 and it was the best decision EVER.

The pain after my revision was non-existent -- I didn't even fill the prescription for the pain medicine! I took two weeks off from work (desk job) but I only did that because I had tons of sick leave from work. I would have been fine to go back after just a week. I cannot imagine that you would need to be off for 4-6 weeks; I would be absolutely nuts after that period of time!!! My post-op plan was very similar to the LapBand but I extended each phase by an extra week, so it took me almost 4 months before I was eating regular food.

As for reflux, I never in my life had reflux until I got the LapBand, then I had it horribly all the time. When the band came out, the reflux instantly went away. When I had the revision, it came bac****il I found Nexium!!!! I now take a Nexium daily and I haven't had to eat a single Tums since the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It is heavenly not to have to worry with it.

I DO drink alcohol....wine and mixed drinks. It affects me much more after the sleeve than it did with the band (and also see the comments below about dumping)...

The main differences I see with the sleeve versus the band are -- 1) I can eat more foods, ie chicken, some bread, raw veggies, etc that I could not eat with the band. Restriction is still about the same, but the sleeve seems to be more forgiving than the band with what it will tolerate. 2) I do not vomit and rarely get stuck!!! 3) I now have dumping syndrome, manifesting in extreme fatigue, weakness, racing heartbeat, and sometimes lightheadedness and dizziness after eating. Mine is early onset, so about 30 minutes after eating something (usually something that has more carbs, but it has also happened with protein), I feel as though I cannot keep my head up for another minute and my heart just starts zooming (like to the tune of 130 bpm resting!). It has gradually gotten better since surgery, but it definitely has not gone away. If I'm able to sit with my eyes closed or take a nap, I do...otherwise, I just fight it until the feeling goes away, which is usually in about another 30 minutes.

I have lost 70 pounds since the revision last May, and I have 27 more to get to my absolute lowest weight. I can tell the weight has come off slower after the revision than the initial band surgery, but that's okay....it WILL come off and stay off!!!

Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!!!!! I think you'll be VERY pleased with your sleeve as compared to your band!

Celeste in Austin, TX  - Licensed Professional Counselor - Clinical Supervisor 
LapBanded February 18, 2008; 3 slips and nearly a death later, had band removal then a revision to VSG on May 12, 2014; best decision ever!!!        

Joanna B
on 2/19/15 6:51 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Hi Celeste,

Reading this makes me very excited to get the sleeve. Don't get me wrong, I loved the band... before the reflux. Thank you for your story. I'm looking forward to my next journey:)

Most Active
Recent Topics