Preparing myself

kd_blue75
on 2/17/15 5:53 am

I have been on here off and on since 2009 when I had Lap Band.  I did initially lose about 25-30 pounds with the band.  I never had restriction and could eat any size portion.  I am now having some other issues like severe GERD and pain in the port area.  I am working towards revision to RNY.  I honestly feel I am in a better place for the surgery.  I am ready to really have the tool I thought the band would be.  I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday and have done all but one of the pre-requisites and have one other scheduled ( a mammogram).  My plan is to use this site to help keep me accountable.  I want to succeed.  I need to succeed.  I want to use the RNY like the tool it is supposed to be. 

I have stopped sodas.  I have started walking with a fit  bit and am exploring good protien drinks.  I don't plan on the surgery until May-ish due to work issues.  What are some other things you have done to prepare? I am reading up on the food and the surgery.  I am working on practicing mindfulness while eating.  I have 2 friends at work who had WLS last year and are a good source of support as well. 

I failed the lapband...but it also failed me.  I am ready to do this....just want to know if there are any other suggestions. 

Douglas R.
on 2/18/15 1:21 am

I want to wish you the best. If you keep on this path of mindfulness and motivation you can do fine with RNY. My RNY failed after 10 years and I got off track with eating correctly and had a lot of stress that impacted me. Now, I gained back 60 pounds of the 180 pounds that I had lost. I am going to the DS procedure and I think you should also look at this as an option. Keep positive!

Hislady
on 2/18/15 11:23 am - Vancouver, WA

There are literally thousands of people who have revised to other surgeries from the band. It is ineffective and not a long term surgery. I wish you well and I'm sure as long as you stay on course with the new surgery you will do just fine.

Most Active
Recent Topics