revision of RNY

pjpence
on 3/12/15 1:41 am - Litchfield, IL

Has anyone had revision of RNY? I had my surgery in 1999 by J. Christopher Eagon, WU/BJC

RICK THORNTON
on 3/12/15 8:26 am - LAKELAND, FL

RNY LIFE STARTED IN 1980 AT 550 LBS, HAD R N Y REVISION IN 91. 243 THIS MORNING.IM IM WINTER HAVEN FL AND 62 YRS OLD

MsBatt
on 3/12/15 9:05 am

There are several different ways to revise an RNY. Some of them work better than others. Your first step should be to get an endoscopy, to determine whether you have a mechanical failure, and what kind. If your pouch or stoma are enlarged, there are various ways to attempt to reduce them. Sometimes it involves pretty much doing the whole surgery over. Sometimes a LapBand is placed around the stoma. I've seen a few people have good success with this, but they aren't but a few years out at this point, and I have to wonder what will happen when the Band has to come out. (The manufacturer now admits it's not intended to last for more than ten years.)

There are a few different procedures that attempt to reduce the size of the stoma by going down the throat. The RSOE, the POSE, and the Stomaphyx involve clips that pinch the stoma smaller. These procedures have NOT shown goo long-term results. The newest procedure like this is the Apollo Overstitch, which uses surgical staples instead of clips. So far, it seems to be working better that the ones with clips, but there is no long-term data yet.

The most successful revision for a failed RNY is conversion to the Duodenal Switch. It is also the most complicated, and is only done by a handful of surgeons. The DS is the form of WLs with the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

Most Active
Recent Topics