Revision Surgery after gastric bypass?

Terrin4571
on 3/22/15 10:46 pm

has anyone had a "revision' surgery that originally had gastric bypass?  If so, can you tell me the reason you did it and which "revision" procedure that was used?  I am fact finding for a friend and want to learn and understand so that I can be more supportive for her.

thank you!

Butterfli2005
on 3/23/15 1:41 am

Ironically, I just came on the board to ask nearly the same question for myself so I will just reply to yours so we can hopefully get some good responses.

I am post op RNY (2003) and have regained abut 100 lbs. I have been trying to lose for the past few months, going "back on track" with the main rules of a post op RNYer. I had a resting metabolic rate test abut 3 months ago and it came in at 1400. So I have been eating mostly 900 to 1100 calories a day with no weight loss. I walk frequently (have a puppy so pretty much have required exercise routine) and still have been stuck at 228 & 238. I keep food logs and meet both with the clinic food dietitian and food psychologist, who also now agrees that revision is a acceptable consideration at this point. 
So I would also like to hear from any post revision people. The surgeon I see normally does ERNY only but I have found another surgeon in the area that does the DS. The problem may be insurance approval for none, or only one, type of surgery. As cannot nor will be able to self pay, I am bound to insurance approval.

My questions are the same for Terrin4571, and additionally,

How much weight did you lose and how fast for your procedure?
What kind of challenging physical consequences you have because of the surgery do you have (ie. bathroom / gas issues) 
How much and what differences are there in your eating now than when you were a RnY post op only?

Thanks!

redarrow2000
on 3/24/15 7:55 am

Hi I don't know if this helps or not.  but I have been looking into a revision  I had open RNY in 2000  managed to keep weight off over 10 years now have gained some back  the doctors have told me that only procedure they can do is to go back in and make my pouch smaller again and possibly decrease size of stoma   where the food empties from the stomach.  I was hoping for more options also. Two doctors told me that.   Also you would not have the malabsorbtion like you had from your 1st surgery
I just had a staple line the stomach was not cut away  hope this helps

ShebasMom
on 3/27/15 10:54 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I also have a slow resting metabolic rate of 1500. I'm going through the process of trying to get insurance approval for revision distal rny.  I would prefer the DS, but I have GERD, so it's not an option. I still have good restriction with my pouch, so the rerouting of the intestines will be all I need. My surgeon at Duke, does 150-200 cm common channels, which I want 125-150 cms.  Common channels 200cm have much less of those issues, slower weight loss and also leaves less permanent malabsorption after 18-24 months. I understand the changes with diet/supplementation would be increased protein, iron and calcium. Limiting simple carbs is required with all wls, because those type of carbs are 100% absorbed (digestion starts in the mouth). Also, limit fats, because that would cause more diarrhea. Typical weight loss after any revision is slower than the original surgery. The most I lost a month was 12 lbs after my rny and my malabsorption ended at 18 months. I need to set my expectations on 50-75% of my monthly amounts of losses and the decreasing malabsorption over time. The amount of malabsorption left varies, but I'm hoping to have enough to help with maintenance. 

If your insurance pays for a DS, that would be the best choice. A distal rny has been referred to the worst of both worlds. (There have been some distal revisions, that revised to the DS, because of complications or poor weight loss) Does your DS surgeon have a lot of experience with rny to DS revisions? It is a very complicated surgery that should be done only by an experienced surgeon. There are about 8-10 in US that have earned that reputation. 

I don't know if I helped you. I hope I have.  In a 6 month period, I did a search on OH and read a lot of old post (none older than 5 years) and PM people with questions. I invite you to do the same, because it may help you form your own opinion rather than one from a stranger.  Good luck with your search.

Donna 

shawn31
on 3/23/15 12:17 pm - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15

Hey guys! I had a RNY in 06 and lost 93 pounds. I regained 80 pounds due to my own emotions and eating... Yep! I admit it. It was my fault! The lowest I got down to was 223 and now I'm having a revision to the BOB . 😁 However it is alot of opinionated people on here about that procedure but I do understand everyone's journey is different...

ShebasMom
on 3/27/15 11:02 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I'm sorry if you felt my answer was opinionated. I thought you should know about the documented complications of the band before you had this surgery. My revision is a distal rny, which also has opinionated people. (but a DS is not an option, if you have GERD)

I wish you success with this surgery.

Donna

shawn31
on 3/27/15 12:10 pm, edited 3/27/15 12:12 pm - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15

I want you to know that my intentions were not to offend anyone. I understand that when we post our questions /personal thoughts we open ourselves up to other's opinions. I get it but sometimes posting on here makes you feel like you shouldn't have. It's definitely changed on here .Thanks

Chilipepper
on 3/29/15 1:20 pm

The only people who I have heard describe the Distal as "the worst of both worlds" have never had a distal.  I needed a revision because of late term complications and live happily every day with the benefit of my pouch keeping me honest and not eating sugar along with the malabsorption of my distal. 

Dont believe everything you hear unless it's first hand knowledge. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

stacyinohio
on 5/5/15 1:13 pm
On March 29, 2015 at 8:20 PM Pacific Time, Chilipepper wrote:

The only people who I have heard describe the Distal as "the worst of both worlds" have never had a distal.  I needed a revision because of late term complications and live happily every day with the benefit of my pouch keeping me honest and not eating sugar along with the malabsorption of my distal. 

Dont believe everything you hear unless it's first hand knowledge. 

It's refreshing to read your post about your revision to distal...I would love to fear more' (channel length, surgery recovery, how much you've lost, etc)

:)

stacyinohio
on 5/5/15 1:11 pm
On March 27, 2015 at 6:02 PM Pacific Time, ShebasMom wrote:

I'm sorry if you felt my answer was opinionated. I thought you should know about the documented complications of the band before you had this surgery. My revision is a distal rny, which also has opinionated people. (but a DS is not an option, if you have GERD)

I wish you success with this surgery.

Donna

Hi Donna...

Have you had your revision to distal yet? I am researching this option for myself and I'm interested in following along with your experience...

Most Active
Recent Topics