Can't get anything to leave my stomach

Linny0830
on 4/24/15 12:46 pm - Tampa, FL
with

I went to Mexico Tijuana on April 6, 2015. I went to have a revision to my open RNY done in 2001. I was told I might have to have open again. Sure enough, it was done open. 

Main issue, I was told by surgeon Dr. Alejandro Lopez was my surgeon, that he didn't have to repair my pouch. He did further shorten my small intestines for further weightloss. 

The issue I am having, I can only eat maybe 2 or 3 tablespoons of puréed food or drink, and nothing else will go for the rest of the day. I know this is not normal. I have been able to hold a little more, but it does not leave my stomach all day!!! I think maybe he did tighten the pouch or and there is too small of an opening to have the food leave. Or maybe a block. I just know I am getting very weak and extremely dehydrated. I do have an appointment with a Bariactric surgeon on Monday where I live in Florida. I am losing weight, but am suffering greatly. 

Any advice or anyone else had this?

Hislady
on 4/25/15 12:49 pm - Vancouver, WA

I would call the bariatric place and tell them you need in sooner and tell them what is going on. If that doesn't get you any help I would head straight for the ER. There  is no telling what the Mexican doctor did. Have you called them to see what they say? It is certainly nothing to fool around with, it could be a stricture or something is too tight but you are in danger of really damaging your body! This isn't something you can ignore!

jrolfson2000
on 5/10/19 12:26 pm

First of all Linny, I've read your Facebook Review on Dr. Lopez' site, so I know that you had problems from day 1. Not so much with Dr. Lopez, but with the office staff of Dr. Lopez. I am not a patient of his but have been through (3) read them (3) weight loss surgeries so I know a little bit about this situation.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this but, There are only literally a handful of Drs. in the US who will even attempt a revision of a failed RYNGB. Anytime you have already had a previous weight loss surgery it's a very high risk #1 and #2 rarely can they repair and revise Laproscopically. And this is today in 2019, your surgery revision was done back in 2015 so there were even less Drs. doing revisions. I would guess that when Dr. Lopez started your revision he most likely tried at first to do Laproscopically and quickly knew that getting through old scar tissue would not go well so he then opened you, he may have tried doing the pouch revision but discovered quickly that doing so would put you in more danger and create more problems with leaks and the like. Hence why he stopped working on the pouch and went to giving you a Distal Gastric Bypass which is sometimes called an ERNY. Did you do any research on the possible procedures? And Risks, vs. outcomes? As patients that is our duty to research and know which procedure should be right for us. Blaming the Dr. of choice, who honestly was being a good guy for even giving you surgery in my thinking, is completely unfair, giving a bad review is unfair, knowing that you take a risk going to Mexico because your not going to be there for the aftercare. That's on us as the risk takers. Your negative review is the only one I've seen on Dr. Lopez so one might have to wonder that you may need to take some of the blame in all that. There are such things as bad patients, as well as bad Drs.

I have to wonder how your doing now? Did you have to have additional surgical repairs to get beyond the issues you were having being unable to eat? Because I went through exactly what you did, a revision that took me down for about a year. Reason being when my pouch was revised I had extreme issues with it being to small and literally I hardly ate anything for a years time. However, I dropped all my weight and then some. The problem I was having is I was trying to eat what I shouldn't and kept aggrivating that pouch. Throwing it up and then couldn't eat at all. After a year I finally discussed it with a Dr. because I couldn't eat anything, I had no energy, or strength and couldn't barely get out of bed and daily nausea and dry heaves every single day. This Dr. I finally went to in the States told me and he was not a Bariatric Surgeon he was a primary care physician, because where I lived at the time, they had no one versed on WLS, that I should eat just 1 bite of food every hour to see if I could tolerate it, such as a bite of soft boiled egg, all day long I should do this every hour or so. I tried it and it worked. My pouch did get revised and it was so swollen I could barely eat anything. But I worked with this method and it worked.

The fact that Dr. Lopez charged you an additional $350 for higher BMI and then another $1,000 was most likely because of the time in the OR...Revisions vs. First Timers are completely different on the amount of time and energy put into it. Your lucky they didn't charge you double. 7 hours in the OR times Drs, Anesthesiologists, Nurses, etc. etc. etc. It's naturally going to cost you more and in the US it could have easily cost $50,000 ++++...I would also say that Sandra most likely was just doing her job by asking you to pay as she did, that's her job. However, she might have timed it better. And maybe taken care of you better. But it put her in a bad position because at the end of the day she is responsible for you paying before you leave, so most likely she was trying to figure out how to get you to do that. Bad situation all the way around. Once you leave Mexico, your gone and never coming back. Nothing they can do. It seemed as if you were proud a*****h that you got out of there without paying that extra $1,000...I have been in your position and I would have been happy to have only paid a $1,000 extra. I know this has been a long time ago but it really was upset me by reading your story, as I have been there, and felt you really were just trying to harm the Dr. here when honestly it was quite obvious to me that you carried the biggest brunt of responsibility.

I just wanted to comment on this as there are two sides to each and every story. I believe Mexico gets a bad wrap in all things. But if truth be known. There Bariatric WLS Record is even better than the states and I know the Drs. are much better skilled. Just my two cents.

Most Active
Recent Topics