gastric bypass revision surgery with distilization

jwo1083
on 5/5/15 6:36 am

Hello,

Iam wondering if anyone else has ever had gastric bypass revision surgery with distilization.  I had RNY gastric bypass in 2005, start weight was 256.  Lowest weight was 172.  I Have been regaining since 2009, and am currently at 259.  I met with Dr. Shikora and am scheduled in a few weeks for surgery.  Please let me know if anyone else has had this surgery.

thanks

Stephanie G.
on 5/5/15 1:11 pm - Rowlett, TX

I'm not sure about "distalization"...does this mean he plans to convert your RNY to a distal bypass?  If so, I had one on 4/7/15 (exactly one month from today and have lost 18 lbs so far).

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

Bev B.
on 5/6/15 1:04 pm

I'm not sure about "distalization" either, however I just had to have a revision from my open RNY from 2009.  I had developed horrible bile reflux, and an ulcer.  Last Tuesday I underwent another operation, which basically was the SAME surgery I had in 2009.  He moved the jejujujenostomy anastomosis (connection) further down. (To 150cm)  I'm still trying to understand it all.  It was another complete open surgery, and I am in some pretty severe pain, but seem a little better each day.

jwo1083
on 5/12/15 2:33 pm

bev,

how are you doing now?

ShebasMom
on 5/6/15 8:29 am, edited 5/6/15 8:30 am
Revision on 07/05/16

Stephanie, Congrats on your weight loss so far. How has it been?  Remind me what your common channel is? Insurance refused to pay for mine.  Now I'm in process of an appeal.

Stephanie G.
on 5/7/15 12:40 pm - Rowlett, TX

My common channel is 120 I believe.  I've lost 19 lbs in the first month.  It's interesting getting used to what I can and can not eat- it's a lot different than my original bypass.  I'm still hungry as she wasn't able to tighten my stoma so I'm probably eating more than I should.  There is a FB group called distal bypass support that has been helpful in answering a lot of questions for me.  Hope you get approved after your appeal!

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

jwo1083
on 5/11/15 9:15 am

Stephanie-

It is the same.  Please let me know how things are going as I've heard so many negative things about this revision surgery and the closer my date comes the more nervous i am getting that i may not be making a good decision!

best,

jen

slamoreau
on 4/2/17 1:12 pm

Just seeing this post almost two years later, but thought I would check in with you. I had a distalization with Dr. Shikora in August 2014. I believe I was his #7 for the procedure. Did you end up having it done and how did you do?

Most Active
Recent Topics