Lap band to gastric bypass

Zoey0317
on 5/12/15 11:06 am

I have an upcoming appointment with my surgeon to consult about having my lap band removed and turning to gastric bypass. I've heard there are some patients who have the band removed and the gastric bypass revision done as one procedure and then others who have the band removed and have to wait a while before having the gastric bypass surgery. Can anyone give some insight as to why one step vs two steps is needed? I've been looking online but can't really find much. Thank you.

Kathy S.
on 5/12/15 12:58 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Zoey,

Try using our search feature (spy glass in the upper right hand corner) using key words and see if you can find others that have had this procedure done.  Try posting on the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY) too.

Good Luck

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Dibaby45
on 5/12/15 7:17 pm

I am having a revision from lapband to bypass all in one day. First of all it is way easier to get approved. Second who wants to go through 2 surgeries if u dont have to. So yes there are doctors who do it. Mine will be on June 23 :)

Hislady
on 5/12/15 10:48 pm - Vancouver, WA

I think it really boils down to surgeon skill. A good revision surgeon should be able to do it all in one surgery unless the band has caused severe damage. Surgeons who aren't as skilled or don't do as many revisions may want to do it in 2 stages to make sure any damage from the band is healed before they go ahead with the rest of the revision. To me it makes more sense to do it all at once so the patient isn't going under anesthesia twice when it could be done in one surgery. So you may have to make some calls to see if there is a surgeon who will do it all in one surgery. Good luck!

AmyDee123
on 5/13/15 3:34 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I asked my surgeon why this is done and he said it all depends on the situation.  There might be lots of scar tissue, or something that has to be fixed or heal.  I don't think it has to do with surgeon skill so much as what the surgeon and the patient decide needs to happen.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Most Active
Recent Topics