Lapband to RNY....Advice from RNY patients

Nate K
on 7/19/15 6:09 pm - Akron, OH

Hello all,

I had my lapband surgery when I was 15 years old. I am now 23 years old. I gained my weight back from having lapband and then some and I am currently at 368 punds.

My surgeon is recommending RNY. Has anybody had revision from Lapband to RNY?

How was it? Painful? How much weight did you lose right after the surgery?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be great!

Thank you all!

Nate 

Ashley in Belgium
on 7/22/15 4:20 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I had revision from Lap Band to RNY almost 2 years ago.  BEST DECISION EVER!

I lost all of my excess weight and then an extra 15-20 lbs for bounce back within the first 14 months after surgery.  Living with RNY is completely different than Banded life.  Some of the rules are the same - but the actual eating experience for me has been totally different in a good way.  No choking, no sliming, no vomiting etc.  I have detailed the first year or so of my experience in my profile if you want more details.  Or you can ask specific questions and I am happy to answer. 

The RNY wasn't any more painful than the LapBand surgery.  Less so even for me.  But then we know what to expect right?  It does take about 4 to 5 weeks to feel back to normal.  The most important thing you can do right now is get yourself ready mentally for the change.  The surgery fixes your stomach and gives you a much better tool than the Band, but the rest is up to you.  You have to eat on plan, follow the rules, take your supplements and move your body.  Everyday.  For the rest of your life.  We are all worth this effort, but it is a tougher journey than we think, often for reasons that catch us off guard.  For me it wasn't the eating part that was the hardest,, it was dealing with my feelings in a new more appropriate way.

Good luck with your decision.  I wish you every success!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active
Recent Topics