I'm having revision gastric bypass after 4 years

Tammy P
on 8/10/15 9:16 am - Brooklyn, NY

CONGRATS and best of luck with your surgery.  Today is the BIG DAY!!!  Sending healing energy your way.

Butterfli2005
on 7/23/15 2:29 pm

I just had my revision from a RNY to eRNY on Monday and am doing great. A bit sore, but not enough to take pain meds for the most part. Since I am a "newbie" to the revision side of things.. I really can't give you an accurate opinion of how well it will work. I hope and pray it will be as good as the first round was!

Awbreynew
on 7/27/15 6:35 pm

If you don't mind me asking, (I am literally JUST) researching st this point... Had RNY in 2001 and have in the past 5 years gained most of my weight back. What is eRNY? And how are you doing?

Butterfli2005
on 7/28/15 12:27 pm

eRNY is the distal version of a RNY. In my case, the surgeon tightened up my pouch back to the size it should be, then lengthend considerably more bypassed  common channel to lower in my small intestine which causes a lot more  malabsorption.. ie. I don't get to keep the calories from food. Same as the original RNY except more bypass. He did not adjust my stoma at all which still means I can eat and not barf if I am smart about it. At my original RNY in 2002 I went from 317 to, two years later, 138. I have regained slowly until about 5 years ago and then I regained fast. Prior to that starting I had regained about 40. But since then I had regained 60 more.. I was so done. So here I am now..     It took me 4 months get insurance approval, and without the persistent effort of my surgeons office staff I am sure it would have taken even longer. . Let me know if you decide to go this way, there is a lot of resources I can share with you.

As for me, I am doing great. I got up and started walking the same day as surgery and have doing it since. I discovered something very interesting. Saturday and Sunday I did not walk much at all. By Monday my whole abdomen hurt. I went back to walking today and., although I am sore because I over did it, it, I am sure will put me back on track to a good healing process. The pain this time around is no where near as bad as the first time, and since the surgeon did not do anything to my stoma, I don't have the issue of struggling to get liquid in. I have felt, more than anything like I had no surgery at all! Which was and is disconcerting. But the day before surgery I weighed 240, this past Sunday, a week later, I weighed 226, so I am losing.

One last thing, there seems to be two areas of though regarding revision. Here in the OH site most are very pro revision from RNY to a DS. And you will most likely read about a lot about how the eRNY is much worse in side effects than a conversion to a DS. I am on a support group specifically for people who are considering or did have a eRNY. And none of them would have done the DS instead. My surgeon, who is very experienced will not do a conversion to a DS.. he said the risks both in the actual surgery and as a post op down the line are no where near worth the risk. The eRNY has a lot less short term and long term risks. I think, like with the original surgery, way back when, there are no set specific standards for amount of bypass, thus some do a bit more, some do a bit less. and some have worse side effects and some don't. There is a huge range on the board I am on. Some that even after months of recover after the revision still have issues with gas and frequent needs to use the bathroom. Additionally have a significant change in oder of both bowels and gas. There are others that just breeze through with no issues what so ever. I have not gone beyond the liquid phase so I can't say for sure what will happen later on, but as of right now, I am fine.. no issues at all.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Awbreynew
on 7/28/15 4:11 pm

So happy that you seem to be doing well and positive! 

I had RNY in 2001, lost 150lbs, gained 50 back within a few years... Then maintained 100lb loss for many years. The past twoish years, I have rapidly gained 70.

I am waiting to hear back from my original dr's office. I am in Indy, and would LOVE any information sites you can recommend. I keep running into bariatric centers that want to contact me, etc.

good luck in your weight loss. Do what you know is right, and make this the last time you (and I) have to look for obesity help, ;-) 

leelin67
on 8/20/15 1:17 am - AZ

Hi All. Just reading all of the posts here and I have my own story. I had the RNY done in 2010, lost about 20 pounds and stopped. Have now regained all but 5 pounds of it back. I went back to my Dr. at Scripps in San Diego, Ca and he said he couldn't do anything to help me. Just to eat 800 calories a day, no junk food etc. I was shocked. I am now 65 and have a two knee replacements on same knee, was a smoker for over 30 years, ( quit 20 years ago, but lungs were affected, but still in fairly good shape. I am embarassed and ashamed about failing to do this for myself. I thought the Dr. could at least look at me and look at the meds I take but he kinda looked down his nose at me, furthering my embarassment. He did nothing but suggest I go to 800 calories. I don't want sympathy from anyone but just want to know if this has happened to anyone else??? My Husband hates me being fat!  Thank You for your taking time to read this... Linda

leelin67
on 9/7/15 2:45 pm - AZ
On August 20, 2015 at 1:17 AM Pacific Time, leelin67 wrote:

Hi All. Just reading all of the posts here and I have my own story. I had the RNY done in 2010, lost about 20 pounds and stopped. Have now regained all but 5 pounds of it back. I went back to my Dr. at Scripps in San Diego, Ca and he said he couldn't do anything to help me. Just to eat 800 calories a day, no junk food etc. I was shocked. I am now 65 and have a two knee replacements on same knee, was a smoker for over 30 years, ( quit 20 years ago, but lungs were affected, but still in fairly good shape. I am embarassed and ashamed about failing to do this for myself. I thought the Dr. could at least look at me and look at the meds I take but he kinda looked down his nose at me, furthering my embarassment. He did nothing but suggest I go to 800 calories. I don't want sympathy from anyone but just want to know if this has happened to anyone else??? My Husband hates me being fat!  Thank You for your taking time to read this... Linda

Please read me!!!!!!!

Hotchic
on 7/30/15 7:26 pm

Hi I too am thinking of the revision surgery.i had gastric sleeve.jan2015. I've only lost 45 pounds.i need help on the process and what to exspect.really what to tell the dr.my surgeon was done on the army installation.please help me to understand

CeeC
on 7/30/15 8:31 pm

Hello!

Thanks for sharing your revision journey. Congratulations to you! I live in Colorado and I've been trying to get a revision for over 2 years with no success. I had RNY in 2004 then had a baby in 2010 and gained all the weight (105+) back. 

I would love any advice and resources you could offer. Your experience gives me hope!

Seabreeze06
on 7/31/15 12:04 pm

Please explain what an eRnY is, I am a current RnY since 2004 in the process of getting a revision approved...so would love to know about other options since I am hearing that the SIPS that my current surgeon is interested in doing may NOW be considered cosmetic by my insurance company BCBSNC..... I'm praying that that is a mistake or an individual situation and not the company policy at this point because I personally don't know what else to even think about doing as an option based on what little I know, so any information would be appreciated. 

Most Active
Recent Topics