I'm having revision gastric bypass after 4 years

MsBatt
on 8/8/15 2:42 pm
On July 31, 2015 at 12:04 PM Pacific Time, Seabreeze06 wrote:

Please explain what an eRnY is, I am a current RnY since 2004 in the process of getting a revision approved...so would love to know about other options since I am hearing that the SIPS that my current surgeon is interested in doing may NOW be considered cosmetic by my insurance company BCBSNC..... I'm praying that that is a mistake or an individual situation and not the company policy at this point because I personally don't know what else to even think about doing as an option based on what little I know, so any information would be appreciated. 

Look into the Duodenal Switch. The SIPS procedure simply doesn't have any long-term data yet. The DS has been around since 1988. The DS has a Sleeved stomach, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY. It will give you permanent malabsorption of a significant per centage of the calories you eat.

anointed2luv
on 8/7/15 7:00 am - Opa-locka, FL

Hi. What is an eRNY?

Nerdy_girl
on 8/7/15 6:58 pm - MD

I believe it's an extended RNY. Essentially they bypass more of the intestines than they did in the original procedure. This is NOT the kind of revision I had so I can't provide much more info. I basically just had my stoma fixed and my pouch trimmed a bit. The stretched out stoma was my main problem. 

HW: 417 | 2003 RNY: 138 loss | 2015 Revision SW: 279

anointed2luv
on 8/7/15 9:46 pm - Opa-locka, FL

Did you have the rose procedure? 

Nerdy_girl
on 8/8/15 7:55 am - MD

No, I did not have the Rose procedure. My surgeon does do that procedure, but did not recommend it for me.  Officially I had a "Laparoscopic Revision of Gastric Bypass with Partial Gastrectomy."  In English, he reduced the pouch by 2 cm (it was 5 cm long, now it's 3), redid the stoma (the connection between the pouch and the small intestines) and removed half of the remnant stomach.  The removal of the remnant stomach makes the work on the pouch safer and easier for the surgeon, and benefits the patient in that they don't produce as much ghrelin, the hormone that causes hunger. 

My understanding is that endoscopic procedures like Rose and the Stomaphyx don't result in much weight loss for the majority of patients.  Those procedures are less invasive, but also less effective.  It's a trade-off, really. 

coogar1
on 8/15/15 5:52 am

also how long were you out of work??

Nerdy_girl
on 8/15/15 9:36 am - MD

At the moment I'm scheduled to go back 5 weeks after surgery.  I'm 3 weeks post op now and am starting to feel a little more "normal."

coogar1
on 8/15/15 5:26 am

I have to have revision surgery too.  don't know what type at this time. with the eRNY did you have drain tubes after surgery?

Most Active
Recent Topics