Revision Band-to-Sleeve, worried about time off

la_maestra
on 9/12/15 8:12 pm - AZ

Hi there!

I had the lap band in 2011, lost 85 lbs, then had to have it unfilled two years later due to lots of issues with which y'all are already familiar (you've been there, you know). So my insurance FINALLY approved a band-to-sleeve revision.  But here's my question: 

I am a teacher. It's very difficult for me to be out one day due to illness, let alone several days due to surgery. We have no breaks scheduled between now and Thanksgiving, and I don't know that I want to wait until Thanksgiving week to do all of this. So, how much time do you all suggest I take off? Will I be ok to teach if I sit while teaching? 

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice in advance. 
La_Maestra

amaral1407
on 9/13/15 12:24 am - WA

HelloI just had my revision from lapband to sleeve.  I had alot of scar tissue so surgery ended up taking over 3 hours.  I ended up staying home for work for 3 weeks, it has been the 2 weeks and I can say I definitely need the extra week I ended prior to surgery  iron infusions for a week, b12 injections  and a prescription of vitamin d (this was all due to lapband), which could have caused me not recovering quickly.  Good luck once you are recovered I am sure you will Love it.  it has been great so far never hungry have lost 10 pounds in the two weeks.  Keep in touch

losing_the_band
on 9/14/15 12:19 am
Revision on 08/27/15

I'm about 2.5 weeks out from my band-to-bypass revision, and I'm glad I took 3 weeks off work.  I work a desk job, though, so I probably could have come back a few days ago.  The pain from the port removal hung on longer than I thought it would, so I couldn't imagine taking less than 3 weeks off if you've got a job where you're going to be active most of the day. 

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

Lisa09
on 9/17/15 7:46 pm - NH

YOU are worth the time off.  This time, you have to put YOURSELF and your health first.  I'm also a teacher and wanted the surgery in the summer, but it didn't happen. I waited a whole year til this summer, and it still didn't happen.  Now, I'll do it whenever the surgeon and insurance will allow, which looks like November.  

So, my advice is to DO THIS FOR YOU.  Your school, students, etc will survive without you.  This is a health issue. Would you even question taking time off if you had a different medical condition for which you needed surgery?  I don't think you owe anyone at school an explanation other than it's a medical necessity.  You're entitled to use sick time, short term disability, and FMLA leave....whatever works for you.

Given the limited amount of time to eat at school, I'm planning to use my 6 weeks off (doctor recommendation) to work on the eating habits before I have to do it under time pressure and ringing bells at school.  

Good luck!

Lisa

HW: 280 SW: 270. CW: 190. Goal: 140

Lap Band: 10/2007 Insurance Approval: 10/19/15 Revision to RNY: 11/2/15

Preop -10 M1 -26  M2 -19  M3 -10  M4 -11  M5 -3  M5  -4  M6 .. Too tired to do the math, but slow

Most Active
Recent Topics