Band Erosion

Sonja M.
on 9/21/15 3:35 pm

Hi -- I am scheduled for revision to band to bypass in November.  Just found out that my band has eroded into my stomach and I may need to have it removed and wait to heal before the bypass can be done.  Anyone been through this?  Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Sonja

Sunshine411
on 9/21/15 6:49 pm

My band was bad as well removed in April waited til August for sleeve...a week ago.  They want your stomach to heal before doing the new surgery makes sense and is what's best from what I've learned.

Sonja M.
on 9/21/15 11:12 pm

Thanks for the info. 

nininn
on 9/22/15 8:52 pm - RI
RNY on 11/02/15

My surgeon wouldn't do anything until it healed.  Believe me, having it out and the repair, i don't think you would want the bypass on top of that!  Good luck!!

"slow and steady wins the race..."

Sonja M.
on 9/22/15 9:22 pm

Will have decision from surgeon tomorrow.  His nurse said today if the erosion and damage is not too bad that he might do the bypass at the same time.  If not, I will have to wait 3 to 6 months for healing.  Praying for a quick and decisive response from the doc.

Sonja

nininn
on 9/23/15 5:33 pm - RI
RNY on 11/02/15

Hope you made out ok today!!  

"slow and steady wins the race..."

magpye
on 9/24/15 10:39 am

Hi! Good luck with your band removal.  I had my band out 6 weeks ago due to an erosion.  This is NOT to scare you, but be prepared for a possible complication.  First of all, it was way more painful than I was prepared for.  The reason for this is because I must have had the erosion for a while and much of my tissue around the band and the port was inflamed and INFECTED!  I did not know this before heading into surgery - my surgeon did not, as well.  It is not that uncommon for an erosion to become infected and have the infection travel down the port and cause infection there.  Looking back, the only sign I had something amiss was a little diarrhea a few days before the surgery ( I knew about the erosion in May and waited until August to have surgery - don't know how long the erosion was there before diagnosed.)  Four days after the surgery, two incision sites became horribly infected.  I have been on serious antibiotics and a wound vac since to heal.  I am definitely on the road to recovery, and contemplating my upcoming bypass.  I don't say all of this to scare you at all!!  Just connect with your body, discuss the infection possibility with your surgeon and take it slow during the recovery.  Best of luck to you!! 

Sonja M.
on 9/24/15 11:13 am

Thank you for the info!!  I'm not aware of any infection.  However, my port location has been a little painful to touch for some time now.  It worries me that you mention the diarrhea -- I started having extremely loose bowels (water mostly) about 5 years ago.  I was going through a separation and divorce, and attributed it to stress.  But - it has continued since then probably 80% of the time.  I was going to see about checking for Crohn's or IBS once this is issue is taken care of, but maybe its related to the erosion? 

Most Active
Recent Topics