Endocrinologist wants me to have a reversal from RNY to the sleeve. Read below:

snowball24life
on 11/18/15 1:45 pm - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

I had the RNY May 21, 2013. I lost 160 pounds (went from 389-225). I've been suffering from hypoglycemia for the past 2 years, and have done what my dietician at my bariatric clinic advised (6 small meals a day to stabilize sugar levels) which in turn caused a 30 pound weight gain (my Endocrinologist said), not to mention that I still suffer from hypoglycemia. (I can eat just a piece of chicken breast, and my sugar levels still drop down into the 20-30's).. 

So my Endocrinologist wants me to have a revision from the RNY to the sleeve to see if that helps with the hypoglycemia as he is Leary of removing part of my pancreas as that will most likely make me a diabetic again. Even with a revision, there is a chance I still may need part of my pancreas removed he said. And if the surgeon who did my RNY won't do a reversal, then he will find one who will. As desperately as I want to get rid of the Hypoglycemia, I'm deathly afraid of gaining more weight going from the RNY to the sleeve. Has anyone had a revision like that and kept the weight off, as well as gotten rid of hypoglycemia? Ty..

White Dove
on 11/18/15 3:33 pm - Warren, OH

It seems like reattaching your intestines would stop the hypoglycemia.  You should not gain more weight unless you also increase your calories after the surgery.  Good luck.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ShebasMom
on 11/19/15 3:02 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Have you thought about revising to the DS? I don't know if you want to lose any more weight, but you can get a longer common channel (150-200 cm) to keep you from losing too much weight. There is also the SIPS, which is still in the investigation stage (less than 5 years of data) that will give you a sleeved stomach and bypassed intestine. BCBS doesn't pay for it. It has good data on the weight loss, but not enough for the maintenance of weight loss.

Most Active
Recent Topics