Just had RNY Reversal...HELP

NewfMom
on 11/28/15 8:41 am

On Monday, 11/23/15, I had by RNY reversed after four months of dangerously low hemoglobin counts and I really need some questions answered.

I had my RNY about 5 years ago, without any complications.  It was the best decision I had ever made for myself.  I lost 160lbs and have an entirely new life...a life where I jog, hike and enjoy meeting new people.  About 4 months ago, I had an duodenal ulcer hemorrhage, which started a downward spiral that has left me empty, angry and upset.  I continued losing blood and have had to have over 30 units of blood in a four month span. I was in the ER last week, when they decided that my best option would be to do a full RNY reversal.  

I am now 5 post-op the reversal and feeling quite angry about the entire thing.  I feel like I was pushed into the reversal and that it was scheduled too quick and without any real education.  I will try to push my anger issues aside and just ask for help from anyone who may have gone through a reversal.

My first question is...what is the post op reversal experience like???  I can not find any information on this subject, I am just given the basic guidelines for the actual surgery.  What should I be eating?  Why am I ALWAYS starving now?   I know it is just five days but this really sucks.  

This is the worst thing that could have happened, I am so afraid to going back to the person I was before the bypass.  I have a couple calls into my surgeons office, but because it is the weekend, and Thanksgiving weekend at that, I was told no one would be in the office till Monday.  What were other reversals allowed to eat those first few days, weeks and months?

HELP!

MsBatt
on 11/29/15 10:50 am

No personal experience with this, but I have spent a LOT of time reading here and on other bariatric sites. I'm pretty sure the reason you're always hungry now is because you're again using the part of the stomach that produces most of the 'hunger hormone', ghrelin.

I don't understand how reversing your RNY and putting food back into contact with your duodenum is supposed to heal an ulcer! Perhaps you should also think about getting a Sleeve done.

Shotrod64
on 12/7/15 11:22 pm - Spanaway, WA
I'm with MsBatt, seems they could of done some kind of repair rather than reversal and reversal still doesn't prevent food from passing through the affected area.

Could be with the reversal you now are affected by the hunger hormone grehlin so now actually feel hunger again. Might try drinking more water. I am by far no expert as I have only had the sleeve. I would think only 5 days out at the time you posted this it would be only liquids but by now at least pureed or soft foods.

How are you doing now, hope things have improved.

Bibo
on 12/20/15 6:41 pm

My surgeon is trying to talk me into one. He told me that I would just eat the way I ate as a post op and "all would be well"........I am having low blood sugar. I have not been back to his office yet and am seeing another surgeon for a second opinion. How are you feeling?

Most Active
Recent Topics