How long were you out of work for surgery?

Nate K
on 12/16/15 9:47 pm - Akron, OH

Hello all,

I am going to be having lapband to RNY revision surgery as the lapband was not successful. I am excited for this new journey to achieve my goals of being fit and becoming a police officer. I am awaiting insurance approval but today the psychologist that cleared me stated I should take off 4-5 weeks from work. That surprised me as I only heard from numerous people and other staff that two weeks is the norm.

I was wondering how long were you off of work? I can handle maybe 3 weeks if needed but past that it is unpaid which will not be good.

For a bonus question if you have time, did you tell all your co-workers you were having weight loss surgery?

Thank you all for your help!

Lisa09
on 12/17/15 6:43 pm - NH

I had band to rny revision on 11/2 and took 6 weeks off.  I felt I probably could have gone back in 4 if I pushed myself but am glad I didn't. This is my first week back and I am wiped!  Everyone is different. I had a drain in for almost two weeks which was miserable and which, I think, pushed my recovery time out.  

I told  only one co-worker, whom I trust, and no one else.  I asked my doctor to be as vague as possible on the medical leave form and she was. It's no ones business and I didn't want their opinion.

best of luck!

HW: 280 SW: 270. CW: 190. Goal: 140

Lap Band: 10/2007 Insurance Approval: 10/19/15 Revision to RNY: 11/2/15

Preop -10 M1 -26  M2 -19  M3 -10  M4 -11  M5 -3  M5  -4  M6 .. Too tired to do the math, but slow

kellygirl17
on 12/18/15 6:31 am

Hi,

i had had band to bypass on 12/7, two days, one night in hospital, came home with a drain.  Took one full week off and then began working from home the second week (which is this week). It was manageable but I got tired around 3pm each day. Happily though I took next week off for vacation....so I'm going to take those days to finish healing. 

Everyone is is different but I'd say three weeks will be plenty of time assuming all goes well (which it will, I'm sure).

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Kelly

Whit
on 12/26/15 6:44 pm
Revision on 12/10/12

RNY to DS- Complications and a second surgery. 3 weeks in the hospital 14 weeks out of work. 

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Hilarious
on 1/2/16 7:17 am - Coram, NY

I had revision from lapband to gastric bypass on 10/29/15 and returned to work by working for home after a week. I returned to the office at two weeks  I was in the hospital for one night and was out and about 4 days after surgery. I was a little tired, but I started feeling really good by week 3-4.

The worst part about working for me was my three week post-op liquid diet. I had to drink 2 ounces of fluid every 15 minutes while awake. That's a grueling schedule when working full time. However I was always able to get in all the protein and water I needed and I felt good, so it worked.

i told a lot of my co-workers because the diet i was on during the liquid phase was very noticeable and I wanted people, including my team, to know I was okay. They've all been very supportive.

Good luck to you.

Nate K
on 1/16/16 9:33 pm - Akron, OH

Thank you all for your insight and advice, I really appreciate it! I look forward to my surgery in February!

Most Active
Recent Topics