Band to ??? revision...when should I get a complete de-fill

TDotDana
on 4/12/16 9:17 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

I have started the process for revision.

I initially thought gastric sleeve - then after spending many hours on this forum I thought Roux en Y

Now I have stumbled upon DS (which from what I can see if probably the best choice if doing revision from Band)

I want to get the band de-filled asap - however it may be months before I actually get my surgery done.

I don't want to gain all my weight back - as much as I hate my band - it does keep me around where I am today - and I am ok with staying here for a few more months - but am anxious to lose all the issues that come with the band.

Any suggestions or insight to this?

HW - 283lbs (1991)** LW - 206lbs (2014)**CW 265lbs **Slimband - March 8, 2013 ** 275lbs @ Preop Diet**  261lbs on surgery day**Referral TWH - Feb'16**Orientation TWH - May 11/16**Psychologist TWH (Dr Wnuk) - June 24/16 ** Social Work (Anna Wallwork) - July 20/16 **Nurse (Wei Wang) - July 25/16 ** Nutrition Class (Lorraine Gougeon) - Aug 15/16    Endoscopy TWH - Aug 18/16  Dietician (Laura Scott) - Sept 15/16 Surgeon Dr Okrainek Nov 18/16 ** PreOP @ TWN Jan 9/17 *** RNY & Lap Band Removal Surgery @ TWH Jan 23/17 w/ Dr Urbach

Kris G.
on 4/13/16 6:31 pm

I was having some pretty hook lie GERD and had mine unfilled a few months before surgery the GERD eased up but didn't go away completely and I gained 10 lbs which I thought wasn't too bad I would have liked not to gain at all but normally I can gain 5 lbs a day. Good luck...I did band to RNY very happy with the choice so far

Kris G.
on 4/13/16 6:32 pm

I meant to say pretty bad GERD not whatever I said lol

TDotDana
on 4/13/16 8:31 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

Thanks for the info.

I think I will wait until I get a bit more info after orientation - 10 lbs is pretty good - I used to gain that in a week of vacation :)

I think I am going to pursue the DS surgery - seems to have better track record when revision from band - and I don't really want to risk having to go through this again - but I guess I will wait and see what is recommended to me.

sheriberi29
on 4/16/16 2:39 pm - Cleveland, TN

Just an FYI.... I gained 10 lbs in 8 days when I got unfilled . My revision is may 9 so hopefully I can stop or slow down until then 

TDotDana
on 4/16/16 3:45 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

This is what I was scared of. If I could gain 10lbs and that's it and maintain I would be ok with that. Just don't want to gain 50 or more over the next few months. I want new clothes but smaller sizes not larger ones :)

may I ask what revision you decided on and why?

sheriberi29
on 4/16/16 6:06 pm - Cleveland, TN

I chose sleeve.... Because I thought and still do, that it is less invasive and had the least amount of potential side effects. I have a regain on 45-50 lbs. I didn't feel I needed to go to the extreme of bypass and for me.... Ds was not an option. My surgeon did tell me that his preference was bypass because it remains the gold standard of wls due to its potency for maximum weight loss. He did tell several of his patients that insist on sleeve after band that he would NOT SLEEVE them if they had much more to lose than 50 lbs. He also stated that having a lapband may put me at higher risk for a leak when revising to a sleeve and that , since I have reflux trouble with my band, the sleeve has been known to cause reflux to be a problem. I have stayed with my choice to be sleeved due to the fact that I'm terrified of rny and being malnourished . I did extremely well with diet and exercise with my band however I am VERY VERY not great lol at taking medicine and worry that I'll lose hair and teeth and be generally unwell. One more thing that made me want to avoid bypass is that I have joint pain and my bariatric dr said bypass patients can NEVER EVER EVER  take anti inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen or they will get an ulcer . These are only my reasons and what my dr has told me ...

gosh I hope nobody blast me on here ...... 

Mom really praying I'm making the right choice for me, as I can not even imagine how much lower I would feel to fail at wls twice in a lifetime . 

I was on the fence for a very long time about rny or sleeve

sheriberi29
on 4/16/16 6:07 pm - Cleveland, TN

Not side effects...... I meant complications 

sheriberi29
on 4/16/16 6:09 pm - Cleveland, TN

And I meant to type " I've been praying not mom " sheesh 

TDotDana
on 4/17/16 8:41 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

Thanks for the info - the ibuprofen thing is not something I knew about - there is so much info to process and try to make the right decision for each of us.  I thought that band to sleeve was pretty much the same thing - so that is why I am questioning that for me.  My sister in law has the sleeve - my brother has bypass - she regrets not doing bypass now 3 years later - he regrets bypass - only because he is not compliant with vitamins etc...  I have no problem taking vitamins - I do it now - so I don't see that as an issue for me.

I am curious as why DS was not an option for you - was this a personal decision of another reason?

Most Active
Recent Topics