Has anyone obtained their medical records from Mexico?

kimatlast
on 6/13/16 4:23 pm

I had the VSG at Jerusalem Hospital in Tijuana in 2009. Now considering revising to DS. I emailed them to inquire about getting my medical records, and they want $250.00. I guess that keeps people from asking for their records willy-nilly, but it seems like a lot to me. I was thinking $50.00, at the most. I was just wondering if this is typical, and I asked here because I figure people having revisions have to get their medical records. =)

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/16 8:57 am
On June 13, 2016 at 11:23 PM Pacific Time, kimatlast wrote:

I had the VSG at Jerusalem Hospital in Tijuana in 2009. Now considering revising to DS. I emailed them to inquire about getting my medical records, and they want $250.00. I guess that keeps people from asking for their records willy-nilly, but it seems like a lot to me. I was thinking $50.00, at the most. I was just wondering if this is typical, and I asked here because I figure people having revisions have to get their medical records. =)

Those records do not exist.  Impossible.  They never kept records on anyone.  The coordinator wrote out a horrible OR report that looks like a 5th grader wrote it and they used that same report for everyone, they would change the name and date. 

Do not waste your money asking for this.

That hospital.. if you can even call it that, was and is run so horribly that you just have no idea.  You don't need medical records for a VSG to DS. But I will tell you, that time frame would have been Almanza and at that point in time he wasn't doing real sleeves.  He was sleeving the lower 25% of your stomach and plicating the upper 75%.  If you lost all restriction and that is why you are revising to DS, that is why you have no restriction.

BTW, JFTR... there are no vetted DS surgeons in Tijuana.  There is one surgeon that does DS and it's not true dS, it's ... well, it's basically the best he can do.

kimatlast
on 6/15/16 4:13 pm

Thanks very much for that input. I was not considering getting a DS in Mexico, as I have insurance to do it in the USA, now. To tell the truth, I don't remember why or how I picked Jerusalem Hospital and Dr's Betancourt and Almanza, but my experience was not negative - I had no complications or infection or anything. And all the staff were very kind. The VSG stopped restricting, though, so that obviously was a problem.

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/16 6:25 pm
On June 15, 2016 at 11:13 PM Pacific Time, kimatlast wrote:

Thanks very much for that input. I was not considering getting a DS in Mexico, as I have insurance to do it in the USA, now. To tell the truth, I don't remember why or how I picked Jerusalem Hospital and Dr's Betancourt and Almanza, but my experience was not negative - I had no complications or infection or anything. And all the staff were very kind. The VSG stopped restricting, though, so that obviously was a problem.

I think if I told you everything I know about Betancourt you might feel differently.  First off, he was never a doctor, he had a 7th grade education and his real name was Joey.  But that is all beside the point.

You very likely do not have an actual sleeve.  You can go from sleeve to sleeve but I wouldn't suggest it, his sleeves are a mess and it's risky to do a sleeve to sleeve on his patients.  I agree with you, if you need a fix DS is your best option.

Laura in Texas
on 6/15/16 7:18 pm

Your new doctor can run new tests to see what he needs to see for your revision. I would think that is necessary even if he has your records. I would not even worry about your old records.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics